Trusted Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

@beastielove thank you for these special words, they touched my heart.

To all of my Schmoo family, thank you for your love and prayers. I needed a little time off to just sit back, reflect and hold all my kitty kids close. We are all doing well, feeling at peace in the comfort of God's love and promises. I need to get caught up on all the Schmoo happenings this past week. Hope everyone is well and blessed.

Esteemed Contributor

Wednesday report:  Greetings this day before our nor'easter, Schmoo Family!

We've been in a flurry of preparations for my knee replacement...shopping for supplies, cooking (to the best of my ability), and cat health care (Fay Wray's drooling again--periodontal disease--trying to get her stable with vet's help). This is not our first rodeo so we know what to do; it's just a lot of work.

I also must report that my mother's health is critical. She transferred to a rehab facility to rebuild her leg strength after a nasty UTI/treatment at the hospital.  It appears, though, that the UTI has created a rapid-onset delirium that's making her brain misfire.  She's stopped eating and drinking and speaks in garbled tones. The doctor is trying to pull her out of it, but it doesn't look good. It's horrible how something like a UTI can do this kind of damage.  Any prayers you can send up for her would be greatly appreciated.

To lighten the tension, I was reminiscing with my Dad about how Schmoo--who loved to smell ladies' hairspray--burrowed into my Mom's hair like a Tasmanian devil, rubbing, marking, poking and deeply inhaling.  She had the caviar of hairsprays to him:

Schmoo Mommy hairspray check.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Sammy, I am sorry your Dear Mother is going through this very rough time.  I will continue to lift her in prayer as well as you, The Girls, your DH and your Father as you all have difficult days ahead of you.  I will be so happy when your surgery is past and you can begin to heal once again.  You are going to be strong and ready to roll before too long! 

Hugs to you Dear Friend.

Respected Contributor

Sammycat, I am so sorry your poor Mom is suffering so!  My Dad had Parkinson's, and fought frequent UTI's as well.  It is terrifying how a simple infection in a young person that is uncomfortable and inconvenient can become life-threatening in an elderly patient.  I will absolutely pray for the medical staff to be able to help her get past this most recent challenge!

Trusted Contributor

Prayers for each of you dear Sammycat!

Trusted Contributor

Sammycat I am so sorry to read this about your Mom.I will say we went through this with my Mom and yes a bad UTI will cause such fogginess and denemtia and it took quite some time and many antibiotics,they had to change them a few times to get my Mom feeling better and once the infection cleared she was coherent again. While ill,it was horrific.They get dehydrated too and that adds to the fogginess. Praying they get the infection cleared up and she will be back to your Mom again.Hope Fay Wray will be ok and the vet gets this under control. You sure have alot on your plate.I'm glad your knee will be fixed soon and you can get to feeling better. I'm hoping the Humira I started helps me.I wish I was living where you are,I'll take the storm. It was 87 here,mid Nov and 87,

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1, I just read your request for prayers. I will certainly pray for your Mom as she faces this critical time in her life. I hope your knee surgery will be in your rear view mirror soon. 

Just know that you, your Mom, Mr.Sammycat, and Frankie and Fay Wray are all under the umbrella of many good thoughts, and prayers for the days ahead. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thursday report:  Friends, I want to thank you for your prayers.  As it stands now, things are backsliding and it appears there is slender to no medical hope for my mother.

They transported her from the rehab/nursing facility back to the hospital last night.  Apparently the UTI cleared but a break-off strain has settled in her colon. She's just wearing out, having battled diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, incontinence, dementia, chronic UTIs, chronic kidney disease and Afib for far too long. 

Even if they clear the infection, she likely will never rebound and instead will live in the constant state of agitation she is in now. She has a DNR order and wants no heroic measures made.  We are heartbroken. She is the one who passed her interest in writing, animals and history to me.

A nor'easter is blocking travel in PA from east to west and vice versa. My father insists that we do not go back to Pittsburgh, that I instead stay on course for my surgery--he said my mother would want this, too.

Fay Wray has not responded to antibiotic pulse therapy for gingivitis and we're going to take the risk of having some teeth extracted in the hope that it gives her a better quality of life.  Very risky given she's a diabetic.  Surgery is tomorrow.

That's enough downer news for me--thank you again for your kind support and prayers.  I have prayed for a miracle for my mother and my Fay Wray, but how many miracles is one family entitled to?

Schmoo angel light 2.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Thursday report:  Friends, I want to thank you for your prayers.  As it stands now, things are backsliding and it appears there is slender to no medical hope for my mother.

They transported her from the rehab/nursing facility back to the hospital last night.  Apparently the UTI cleared but a break-off strain has settled in her colon. She's just wearing out, having battled diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, incontinence, dementia, chronic UTIs, chronic kidney disease and Afib for far too long. 

Even if they clear the infection, she likely will never rebound and instead will live in the constant state of agitation she is in now. She has a DNR order and wants no heroic measures made.  We are heartbroken. She is the one who passed her interest in writing, animals and history to me.

A nor'easter is blocking travel in PA from east to west and vice versa. My father insists that we do not go back to Pittsburgh, that I instead stay on course for my surgery--he said my mother would want this, too.

Fay Wray has not responded to antibiotic pulse therapy for gingivitis and we're going to take the risk of having some teeth extracted in the hope that it gives her a better quality of life.  Very risky given she's a diabetic.  Surgery is tomorrow.

That's enough downer news for me--thank you again for your kind support and prayers.  I have prayed for a miracle for my mother and my Fay Wray, but how many miracles is one family entitled to?

Schmoo angel light 2.jpg

Sammycat1, I have not been on for a few weeks but I am so very sorry for what you are going through.  My heart breaks for you.  You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1

May I echo @rustysmom‘s words?  I am so sorry to hear all this.  Hopefully your family is entitled to at least another few miracles.  Unfortunately, we never know which ones they may be or when they may occur.  Thoughts and prayers...🕊🙏😿❤️