Trusted Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

KitTKat I am so very sorry to read os Noel's passing but your post was so beautifully written and I am tying through tears.I hope someday I get to meet everyones furbabies in Heaven.

I want to thank all of you for your kinds words and thoughst on our Goldie. We had a scare as she had disappeared after we let her out of the carrier Monday late afternoon.She only came back tonight. I had been crying non stop thinking we lost her. She came home tonight very hungry and ate so well. Still can't put weight on her paw but the swellign went way down.The vet said it will take a while but she should recover. Thank you all so much.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dear Schmoo Family, 

Reading through these beautiful words of our friends clearly written from the heart brings a sense of wonderment, and peace to me. 

We have chosen to bind up the wounds of the heart through the days, months, and years. This is proof positive that we are truly a family that endures through all time. Always, and always. Higher, and higher than the sky. 

3fb9b03807358a8fda81143c32ef932b.jpg

Honored Contributor

@KitTkat

7391e4d4d4eb3dad478c11e9a35aaf9b.jpg

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

@Sammycat1  I don't think I ever knew, the story of how the name became Schmoo. Could you take a moment or two, and share why the name was chosen by you?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thursday report:  Good afternoon, Schmoosters.  I'm reminded today of a quote that has given me comfort when for my cats and dogs over time that I think I'm not doing enough, didn't act quickly enough, didn't see problems developing enough, didn't get the right foods enough, didn't get pills fast enough ... so many enoughs in caring for my pets with health challenges.

It's what we all do when we grieve ... and we have so much of it here, now, this grief and anticipatory grief--and the guilt and regret that inevitably comes with it.  To that, I say--enough with beating oneself up!  We've enriched their lives mightily in ways seen and unseen.

This quote says "enough" too ... for we do more for them and the people in our lives than we think. And they understand this more than we know, as Frankie demonstrates in the photo below:

“Saving one cat or dog will not change the world, but for that one cat or dog, the world will change forever.”

Frankie saved.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs,

Schmoo was named in this way.  He had attitude, from the start, and when we saw him in the shelter, he was the color of champagne with the moxie and strength of a lion--he'd survived terrible circumstances prior to us adopting him--the most minor of which was being struck in the head so hard it mangled his jaw and broke most of his teeth off.  He was a survivor. But "champagne lion" is too long for a name on a practical basis.

I had named all of my cats with an "S" and wanted to continue this tradition.  Riding home from the shelter with Schmoo in tow, DH and I bandied about names. And DH thought he recalled a Li'l Abner character named Shmoo or Smoo...a character that kept "keeping on."  

We liked the symbolism, but DH said, "Let's put a 'c' in there to change it up, but it's still missing something.  He's one of a kind and I think he needs one of those longer official names, like the kind they give to bred cats at shows...but with attitude thrown in."

So he came up with the full name:  "That's Mister Schmoo to you."  We shortened it, of course, to Mister Schmoo or Schmoo. When the vet who would come to save his life many times over addressed him at this first meeting as merely "Schmoo," our new cat gave him a dirty look, as if to say, "Who the h*ll are you?" and DH informed the vet that his formal name was, "That's Mister Schmoo to you," bub, and don't you forget it.

I've never seen a doctor laugh harder.  Then he made a show of composing himself, and said to Schmoo, "My apologies, sir, for the overfamiliarity. I won't make that mistake again!"  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@KitTkat, so sorry that Noel has left her earthly home. I am glad that she was able to say good-bye to each of the family before she left on her new journey. My thoughts are with all of you. Heart

Valued Contributor

@KitTkat wrote:

Dear Schmoo family, my heart is full of sadness, but Noel's is full of joy. She took her final journey yesterday on earth and now has entered her eternity in heaven.

Noel knew on Monday that she was being called home. She started walking up to the other cats and one by one, she gave them a kiss on the nose. She was most of the younger cat's "mother". She would take all kittens under her wing and bathe them and nurture them. One particular, would "nurse" her. To this one, as she kissed her goodbye, she tried to put her paw around her back, but her weakness couldn't manage, but her little girl Daisy kissed her in return. Noel returned to her bed, and barely left it again.

Thank you for your prayers, your love and your support.

@Tissyanne Thank you so much for that story you posted, it was the most perfect thing for me to receive and read at the hour of loss. I came here after she passed and that was everything my heart needed.

Thank you❤❤❤

I am so sorry for your loss.  I just now read this and my heart is breaking for you.  Your post brought tears to my eyes especially the part where she was saying goodbye to all the other kitties.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Trusted Contributor

Sammy, I love the story of how The Precious one got his name.  I hope he wouldnt mind me calling him  the "Precious One", but in my mind the Great Mister was and will always be Precious in my Heart....Hugs

Have the best weekend possible dear Friends. The weather in my area should finally be drying up after weeks of so much rain.  I am going to give Joey a special day to try to lift both our spirits.  I think we will do a little shopping at the local pet store and head over to Home Depot to get some pansies to plant.  He will be welcome at both locations and then maybe a little touch of icecream to round out the afternoon and some time visiting at Moms house.  Should do us all a little good....Smiley Happy

One day at a time, still one day at a time....