Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Sunday report:  Greetings Schmoosters.  The sun finally came back out in our neck of the woods after days and days of rain.  Fay Wray and Frankie were walking around the house as though they needed sun glasses.

@Tissyannegood to hear that your mom is progressing.   When he says shoe "block" he means "lift."  Sometimes in certain patients there is a temporary sensation of one leg being longer than the other because the tendons, etc., have not yet adjusted and the patient "perceives" a difference until everything adjusts.  Sometimes it's a permanent difference.  I'd ask your doctor which it is and if it's permanent, why.  (I used to be the PR exec in a university hospital and dealt with this subject, among others, a lot).  The important thing is:  she made it through and is on her way!  Our prayers continue for her recovery.

@Beauty Junkie, I was smiling about you the other day when I wrote the section of the Schmoo tales book about the "poo tunes" everyone wrote when Schmoo needed to move a #2.  They truly are works of art!

@beastielove, how is Tabitha and the brood?  The Kitty Sitter isn't about to go to the Best Friends conference this year due to a friend's daughter's wedding ... but she's still volunteering at several shelters in her area, plus tending to Trinity the kitty.

Hope all of you are enjoying a peaceful Sunday evening.  There's nothing like a little calm time before the storm of the week to follow:

Schmoo Sunday evening snooze.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Hi Dear Friends. I hope everyone had the best weekend possible.Mom finished the infusion on Friday and made it through the weekend with tolerable side effects, which we will  take.  They did  all her blood work prior to the infusion and her dang counts have dropped again.  What can we do but pray for good days, and enjoy all our days to the fullest.  (I am trying, oh how I am trying)

Hugs dear friends and I hope each family memeber is doing the best possible and each furbaby is enduring the best as well.  The J's are ok and had a pleasant weekend.  I brought them over to visit at my moms house and she and the boys did some serious rocking, with tons of hugs and loves.

Have the best week possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report:  @Shop Till you Drop, good to hear from you about your mother.  I bet those Healing J's were all over the situation, picking up her spirits enormously!

I'm heading into the home stretch of preparing the first section of the Schmoo book to the NY agents and I have to tell you the whole thing makes my stomach sick. Writing for others, as I have mostly done throughout my career, is relatively easy for me.  Writing about something personal:  the toughest kind possible.  Writing about Schmoo: powerfully hard, yet priceless.

I lay awake at 2 a.m. and wonder:  Will anyone read this?  Will it touch anyone?  Am I good enough to get the story right? Then of course I an antic or two of his, or how bravely he faced all his trials, and the tears come.

It's true, I now have two furry editors in Fay Wray and Frankie.  They do their best with less-than-sterling material.  But they're no match for the one I miss, the true Editor-in-Chief:

Schmoo editor.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I adore snuggly Schmoo Bear in his bed on the desk..with a blankie no less, now that is working in comfort!

Sammy try not to fret, Schmoo's book is a testament to the very best loved and adored kitty ever, and the love put inot each page will shine through with every person that reads his book, and I will be truely honored to read his tale,

Hugs

Honored Contributor

Hi Schmoo Family, 

Just stopping by to let you all know I am under a lot of stress right now. My Mom has decided she is coming home on Friday. She is currently in a rehab center, and she does not want to stay. I would appreciate prayers. Thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone.

Tissyanne I am so sorry for what you are dealing with and of course praying for you both. There is no way you can care for your Mom now so soon after such a surgery. Have you tried to explain that to her? She could easily fall. I hate to say it but I think you need to be very stern with her. This will affect your health too.

Shop I hope your Mom feels better. She is truly amazing,like Mr Schmoo she is fighting the fight. I'm sure having her granddogs around had to bring her some joy and a smile on her face.

Sammycat I think eveyrone will love your book. heck all of us ladies here can't wait to read it. You made me smile when you mentioned the poo tunes.I would sit here thinging of songs that that I could work poo into,lol

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Trusted Contributor

Praying for you and your Mom Dear Tissy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wednesday report:  Thanks ladies for your kind encouragement on the Schmoo tales.

@TissyanneI'm concerned for you and your mother.  I had a knee replacement as you know and went home after 3 days directly from the hospital, and DH and the Kitty Sitter worked around the clock that first week taking care of me and it almost killed them physically.  And all of us were in our mid 50s.

A hip replacement is less involved, but your mother's age and the potential for a fall this early in her healing could be devastating to her health -- possibly necessitating another surgery.  (They told me and my roommate at the hospital -- she had a hip done -- that this was the #1 concern...a fall early on and/or infection.  If you fall very early in the healing process, you usually end up right back in the operating room). 

You're between a rock and a hard place, I'm sure, because you want your mother to be comfortable yet she is not while in the rehab center.  Yet they are skilled in moving her, helping her get stronger and more mobile, etc. She may not see this, but it's not just her decision -- it puts an enormous stress on you to help her without professionals on hand 24/7. 

Perhaps her care team and/or physician can assist with this situation. We had these same issues with my mother last year when she broke her leg and had to have an emergency knee replacement.  She actually thought she'd go home after less than a week in the hospital. She's in her upper 70s. She thought my Dad could help her on his own!

What convinced her to stay:  she tried to get out of bed at the rehab place herself -- against doctor's orders -- and fell, which led to yet more major surgery to fix her kneecap. 

The Schmoo Family's prayers are with you my friend as you negotiate these tough waters. You are a wonderful daughter and none of this is easy. Know we are by your side and if you have to blow off a little steam, we're here.  In the meantime, keep that eye of the tiger:

Schmoo presentation scholar.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://patchoflove.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/happy-mothers-day-2013.jpg

HeartHeartHeartto all the furbutt mothers on the Schmoo threadHeartHeartHeart

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Wishing all the Schmoo family a wonderful weekend. I did bring my Mom home yesterday. She seems much better satisfied, and is able to move around with her walker. Home health care came by today, and will see about her every day. I have rested most of today. 

I hope to get back to normal soon. Smiley Happy