Super Contributor

Tell me about your pet birds!

Me - 26 year old Nanday Conure, 13 year old Senegal Parrot, 10 year old African Grey.  Nanday is a crusty old man who loves to shred his papers and hangs out with some bird toy pinatas shaped like donkeys.  Senegal is a troublemaker and likes to destroy my boyfriend's wallet/eyeglass case/etc.  The Grey is an absolute lady and can whistle the Price is Right theme among other songs :-)

Now tell me about yours.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tell me about your pet birds!

@Tukey ~ Sounds like you have a beautiful bunch of birds!  We have an 8 year old sun conure named Chica and two canaries ~ Olive is 3 years old, Camo is 1 year old.  Camo got his name because of his brownish color ~ makes him hard to see when I check on him at night, lol!  :-)  

Valued Contributor

@Tukey  Birds are so much fun and full of personality. 

I wish I could have a bird again.

I had a macaw parrot that sadly developed throat cancer and had to be euthanized.  This was many years ago.  I imagine now there are probably treatments for that.

I keep my house very cool, in winter 55 degrees, I don't think a parrot would do well in such a cold house. If and when my "hot flashes" stop and I can stand to have a furnace running, I may get another bird. I miss the avian companionship.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

I have 4 budgies Imlove them so much. My one boy seems really sick. He was just fine this morning. I'm thinking it's the heat but the others are just fine. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a 25year old  male cockatiel  named Nibbles.  I bought him as a baby.  Another male Cockatiel named Charlie that we found outside one Summer evening about 15 years ago, so I have  no idea how old he is.  I also have  one female parakeet I have no name for.....and two male  Zebra finches. I use to have about 30 finches.....but  I wanted to down size my collection so I am down to just the two.

birds are nice, but a lot of work and make a lot of mess.  I think these are the last birds I will have....

Respected Contributor

Love hearing about your birds!   I have a Dusky Headed conure named Nemo, but we call him Meano for good reason,lol. He was flying around at  my mom's and perched in her trees. Luckily he came to her and we searched for his owner for some time to no avail. He is LOUD and loves his toys. I have a Senegal parrot named Sweet Pea. He was given to me by a 12 yr old  girl who raised him from a baby. She lost interest. He is so sweet, tears up his paper,and lives to play peek-a-boo.  I have  cockatiel who  has no legs/ feet...just little nubs. He was at this bird place I used to frequent. They were closing and no one wAnted him. He was free so I took him and  named him Lieutenant Dan (from ForestGump). He gets are.define and love treats and toys.  I love my birds. My cats are not at all interested in them as they were raised with birds. 

Honored Contributor

I used to have a little parrotlet.  They are the smallest parrot at about 5".  She was the sweetest little bird.  I loved her so much.  When she died I decided not to get another bird because of the mess.  Also, I had cats at the time, too, and was always a little bit leery when Coco was out of her cage and the cats were around.  They never tried to hurt her though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I share my home with 3 non traditional bird companions - all rescues.

My eldest sparrow is a male named Poppi.  He just turned 12 years old on June 26th.  I hand raised him straight from the egg. 

My next in line is a male pigeon named Grayson.  He was a juvenille when he found me 8 years ago this month.  He was savagely attacked by what, I don't know.  He could not be released back into the wild.

My youngest sparrow is a female named Presto.  She just turned 4 on June 10th.  She was approximately 4 days old when she found me via my niece.

R.I.P to Poppi's sister Peewee who passed away 4th of July weekend in 2014.  She was 9 years, 9 days old.  I was there when she was born and I was there when she took her last breath.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

(paging @chickenbutt)

Honored Contributor

What are their names, @Tukey?