Super Contributor

Re: Tell me about your pet birds!

I read about Oliver on the other thread.  Please accept my condolences.  I always worry about the day my now 26 year old bird passes. 

Super Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

What are their names, @Tukey?

Senegal is Tuco after character in the Good the Bad and the Ugly

Nanday is Teddy (named by previous owner)

Grey is Miss Bebe because she is just such a lady lol

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a 25year old  male cockatiel  named Nibbles.  I bought him as a baby.  Another male Cockatiel named Charlie that we found outside one Summer evening about 15 years ago, so I have  no idea how old he is.  I also have  one female parakeet I have no name for.....and two male  Zebra finches. I use to have about 30 finches.....but  I wanted to down size my collection so I am down to just the two.

birds are nice, but a lot of work and make a lot of mess.  I think these are the last birds I will have....

Wow I didn't know tiels lived that long.  You are right about the mess and work.  My Saturday mornings are pretty much cage cleaning and of course I am constantly sweeping.  We had a mouse issue this past winter and I really had to be on my A game with the floor sweeping!

Super Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:

Love hearing about your birds!   I have a Dusky Headed conure named Nemo, but we call him Meano for good reason,lol. He was flying around at  my mom's and perched in her trees. Luckily he came to her and we searched for his owner for some time to no avail. He is LOUD and loves his toys. I have a Senegal parrot named Sweet Pea. He was given to me by a 12 yr old  girl who raised him from a baby. She lost interest. He is so sweet, tears up his paper,and lives to play peek-a-boo.  I have  cockatiel who  has no legs/ feet...just little nubs. He was at this bird place I used to frequent. They were closing and 

Your birds sound neat.  It is sad the little girl lost interest in the Senagal - they are such great birds.  And it is awesome you took in Lt Dan.  Your birds took special paths to come to you!

Super Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I share my home with 3 non traditional bird companions - all rescues.

My eldest sparrow is a male named Poppi.  He just turned 12 years old on June 26th.  I hand raised him straight from the egg. 

My next in line is a male pigeon named Grayson.  He was a juvenille when he found me 8 years ago this month.  He was savagely attacked by what, I don't know.  He could not be released back into the wild.

My youngest sparrow is a female named Presto.  She just turned 4 on June 10th.  She was approximately 4 days old when she found me via my niece.

R.I.P to Poppi's sister Peewee who passed away 4th of July weekend in 2014.  She was 9 years, 9 days old.  I was there when she was born and I was there when she took her last breath.

I took in a wild bird once - they are just as smart and loving as the exotics

Super Contributor

@Julie928 wrote:

@Tukey ~ Sounds like you have a beautiful bunch of birds!  We have an 8 year old sun conure named Chica and two canaries ~ Olive is 3 years old, Camo is 1 year old.  Camo got his name because of his brownish color ~ makes him hard to see when I check on him at night, lol!  :-)  

My 26 year old conure was hiding behind a toy in the dark this morning.  I was afraid he crawled under his papers and died :-(  He was fine though but gave me a scare.  Could NOT see him at all.

Super Contributor

I just have little guys - a 10 yr Linolated Parakett named Twilight and two young Budgies named Poppy and Pippin. Twilight is a mellow, quiet guy but Poppy and Pippin are clowns. Love to just sit in the bird room and watch them interact.

Respected Contributor

My Dudley is a 25 year old Blue Crown Conure, he is my baby, so lovey dovey. Dudley sneezes, says "what you doing", "by, kiss sound, I love you", "Hello", "your so sweet" etc, etc. Squeky is a 24 year old Brown Throated Conure, he is a little punk, he says his name, "what, what, what", he blows at you, and has a very sinister laugh. I have a 18 year old Red Bellied Parrot named Kiwi, she is a really quite mischievous, she has quite the vocabulary, "Kiwi" "goodnight Kiwi", "trick or treat", "pretty wings" as she lifts her wings, Lots of other things and she dances. They my last is my 14 year old African Gray named Booker, he has an extensive vocabulary and sounds, lasers sounds, whistles, says "Booker" "Mr Book" among lots of other things. I just love my birds. We should have a little bird forum to share information. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tukey  What a lovely, interesting thread. I got goosebumps reading some of these posts. Growing up, my dad purchased a parakeet, then a minah bird. We couldn't have traditional pets in the navy apartment. I had a couple of budgies through the years, but had no desire in my adult years to have a bird, as we have three rescues ~ canine and feline. I digress ~ one year ago a beautiful cockatiel landed in a tree in our yard. He (?) was so tame, he came to me when I called him. I immediately ordered a cage, had my dh stop on the way home for cockatiel food, and spent six months trying to find the owner. We named him Buddy. He's smart and sassy. Talks and gives kisses. He gets so excited when we get home from shopping, just like our dogs do. We are up in years and I worry what will happen to him when we are gone because they do live so long. We have a hunch that someone turned him loose on purpose. >:

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein