Honored Contributor

Re: Teeth Cleaning Treats for Dogs

@Catty2, I do understand not wanting to put your pet under anesthesia, but it's necessary for a thorough teeth cleaning.  Make sure you have an excellent vet, though.  Not using the best anesthesia is dangerous.  I think I've had my dogs put under anesthesia for dentals up to 11 years old.  Dental cleanings can help prevent heart disease among other things.  My vet discovered throat cancer while cleaning one of my dogs teeth.  This was years ago.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

No treat idea .... but "in-between" brushings, I take a old, thin washcloth, dipped in hot water and peroxide, and with index finger, swipe back and forth.  

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps I have been lucky but I have not had to have dental cleanings for my dogs.  I do not use the dental treats, they have way to many calories for me.  They do get raw bones to chew on regularly and bully sticks. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

My dog was in for her annual checkup last week and needs her teeth cleaned.  I am always hesitant to have a pet put under anesthesia but I know dental disease can cause her more problems down the road.  She is 9 years old and some of her gums are inflamed.  I am trying to convince myself to get this done so I can start daily maintenance to keep it from getting bad again.  Any words of advice would be appreciated. 

Catty2, I surely understand your trepidation. Our Boston terrier has a very short snoot and had surgery by our trusted vet when we first got her (she was a rescue) for her elongated palate as she had breathing problems. That was in 2011, and she has had no problems since then, but because I know she still struggles somewhat to breathe, I was nervous. Our vet is absolutely wonderful, though, and we have a close relationship with him and his practice as our other baby had many health problems and recently had to go to the rainbow bridge at the young age of 7. Smiley Sad

Our vet gave us a detailed information sheet on how he cleans teeth and everything that he does. He uses isoflurane gas, which is supposed to be "the best" anesthesia as it does not require internal organ metabolism for the pet to "wake up" allowing for a rapid recovery. During the anesthesia, they had her connected to many instruments that monitored her heart rate, respiratory rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, carbon dioxide levels, and temperature. Knowing the measures that they take to make sure nothing goes wrong reassured me greatly. Even though I trust our vet 100%, knowledge is power, and it comforted me a lot. She is doing wonderfully today, and I feel good knowing that her teeth and mouth are clean. The information also stated that it has been scientifically proven that a healthy mouth can extend the life of your pet by 2-3 years and help prevent kidney disease as well as heart disease.

Try to find out everything you can about the hows and whys of the procedure, and it may give you the peace of mind you need to make the decision comfortably.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg, my vet uses the same procedures that your vet does.  It really does give you peace of mind knowing that everything possible is being done to protect your pet while under anesthesia.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau