Respected Contributor

Teaspoons Vetmedin canceled, shortage...

I have Vetmedin on auto ship 2.5 strength from Petco.  Because of the nation wide shortage her prescription has been canceled.   I notified my vet and they have a lower dose of Vetmedin available, but will need 2x daily dosage,  not as economical as the 2.5, which one pill is split twice daily.   Im sure the vet will charge much more money too, but i have no choice at this time.  

There are a few other sites offering the lower dose as well,  but i don't think i should be switching around right now.  Im hoping the manufacturers of Vetmedin restocks 2.5 asap!  Terrible 😒

I have to get the pills at vet tomorrow,  and im also going to ask if there's an equivalent alternative. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Teaspoons Vetmedin canceled, shortage...

Try goodrx dot com

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I have Vetmedin on auto ship 2.5 strength from Petco.  Because of the nation wide shortage her prescription has been canceled.   I notified my vet and they have a lower dose of Vetmedin available, but will need 2x daily dosage,  not as economical as the 2.5, which one pill is split twice daily.   Im sure the vet will charge much more money too, but i have no choice at this time.  

There are a few other sites offering the lower dose as well,  but i don't think i should be switching around right now.  Im hoping the manufacturers of Vetmedin restocks 2.5 asap!  Terrible 😒

I have to get the pills at vet tomorrow,  and im also going to ask if there's an equivalent alternative. 

Perhaps a compounding pharmacy that does vet Rx could help you. I have had great experiences and very reasonable prices from Road Runner, in Arizona. The more pills you get, the lower the per-pill price, at least  5 years ago.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin So sad your vet is only in it for the money.  I wonder if They are affected by the shortage Too and are offering what they have to you.  A compounding pharmacy may be More expensive but might be able to create the size you need in a flavoured form.

ETA: It is ALL strengths of Vetmedin that are in short supply.  you might want to get a Larger quantity IF they will do it.  They might have a quantity limit so they can accomidate as many of their patients as they can. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann  Vetmedin is not a compound drug.  There is also no generic version.  It is an expensive drug for heart  issues and it is not uncommon for stock to run low and it is used only for animals.

When one of my now deaceased dogs was on it...I stocked up and had more than a years worth stockpiled.  When my dog died, I had to find someone who needed it...way too expensive to just dispose of.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

@Dazlin So sad your vet is only in it for the money.  I wonder if They are affected by the shortage Too and are offering what they have to you.  A compounding pharmacy may be More expensive but might be able to create the size you need in a flavoured form.

@candys mine   Vets do not charge more for drugs because they're in it for the money.  They don't get the huge supply that places like Chewy and 1-800-PetMeds do, so they don't get the discount prices themselves.  

Vets do a tremendous service and are very compassionate people.  At least my Vets are.  I am very greatful for them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann  Vetmedin is not a compound drug.  There is also no generic version.  It is an expensive drug for heart  issues and it is not uncommon for stock to run low and it is used only for animals.

When one of my now deaceased dogs was on it...I stocked up and had more than a years worth stockpiled.  When my dog died, I had to find someone who needed it...way too expensive to just dispose of.

My point was to suggest another supplier. My suggestion was to the OP. No harm in thinking outside the box. At least for some. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!  My response was to the way Dazlin seemed to make out that It was the Vets greedy fault that they would charge more, BUT The fact that her Veterinarian was the one who lost money when she had them call out the script to an outside pharmacy seems to have eluded her.  I have no pets anymore at the moment but I absolutely hold my Veterinarian and the whole Staff there in the Utmost reguard.  They were Always there for me when I and my kitties needed them and their skill and knoweledge.  When I see posts that make it seem like the Veterinary profession is only out for the money It gets my hackles up.

Again I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with your sentiments.

Super Contributor

Sounds expensive but if you're desperate you might try Kvsupply dot com - right now it shows they have Vetmedin (Pimobendan) 2.5 strength @ 50 for $73.89.

I agree with @noodleann about at least trying a compounding pharmacy that will make it up for you - ask your vet if they work with one and will prescribe Pimobendan (Vetmedin) and the pharmacy will mail it to you. 

"Pimobendan is FDA approved for use in dogs. It is sold under the trade name of Vetmedin®. When the appropriate form or dose of this drug is not available through a veterinary pharmaceutical manufacturer, it may be compounded by a specialty pharmacy".

You can also check out these compounding pharmacies - wedgewoodpharmacy dot com and stokespharmacy dot com. Go to the pet portion of their sites and you'll see info like this from wedgewoodpharmacy:

DRUG-SHORTAGE AND BACK-ORDER ALERT

For Veterinary Practices

Turn to us first for back-ordered medications. When a commercially available medication becomes unavailable, it can be disruptive to a patient’s treatment and stressful for the owner.

Wedgewood Pharmacy may be able to compound preparations that are back-ordered by their manufacturers or otherwise unavailable so that your patients' treatment regimens are not interrupted. And, when you are a Wedgewood Pharmacy customer, we will let you know via fax or e-mail -- whichever you prefer -- when a commercially available medication becomes unavailable and we can provide a compounded alternative. This may minimize any disruption in patient care and prevent the need to "stock up" on items in case they go on backorder.

Wedgewood Pharmacy is currently compounding these medications while they are on backorder from their manufacturers.

One of the dosage forms available for Pimobendan is Tiny Tabs. A Wedgewood Pharmacy exclusive. Pilling a pet is a task most owners dread. Tiny Tabs® -- compressed, pillable tablets that are smaller than a Tic Tac® -- may make that task, and the owners’ lives, a little bit easier. They are perfect for difficult-to-administer or bitter-tasting medications.

13 strengths of Pimobendan Tiny Tabs are available, ranging from 0.625 mg/tab to 15 mg/tab.

Good luck to you and your pet - there's nothing worse than not being able to get lifesaving medication, for people or pets!

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I've used Wedgewood Pharmacy for compounded drugs several times.  They are very good and reputable.  It would be worth discussing this with your Vet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau