Trusted Contributor

Re: Taking a large cat to the vet

KONG® Travel Carrier Caster Wheel Set | Carriers ...

This may work for you. 

Trusted Contributor

Amazon.com : Pet Carrier Stroller, Soft-Sided Pet Travel ...

Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:

Please, please, please use a secure carrier for your cat.  I have had some larger cats and have used a small dog kennel/carrier for years.  You can always leave him in the car briefly while you get one of the vet staff to help you carry it from the car to the clinic, and back again.

My first two cats were very docile and raised from young kittens.  I used a cardboard carrier to ferry them to and from the vet, no problem.  My third kitty was a former feral.  She did fine on her first trip to the vet.  Second trip, she went berserk.  She managed to escape the carrier - I have no idea how as all remained intact.  Anyway, she was lost behind the vet clinic for nine weeks!  First attempt, I used too small a trap and she managed to back out of it.  I finally trapped her after catching a skunk, raccoon and a pregnant feral mama cat.

Please don't risk it.

@lynne6was7, you all have put the fear of God in me, I won't. I went out and looked at the carrier I was thinking of, it is longer and taller than I was thinking.

I also have a larger one, that is bigger and bulky, but if the other doesn't work, I will take him in it. I am not going to take any risks with the King of this Jungle, lol.

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 wrote:

Amazon.com : Pet Carrier Stroller, Soft-Sided Pet Travel ...

The carrier my sister has is like this one but without the wheels.  I love this one!  Makes me wish I still had  cat.

Honored Contributor

My cat is a 21 pounder.  I crate him but carry on a luggage cart to the vet.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Airline pet carrier.  They're big.  My cat Jasper was a huge boy and he fit fine in one.  They are a little heavy to carry, but as others have suggested, get a luggage dolly and role carrier to the car.  

Respected Contributor

Buy a crate or carrier appropriate to the cat size - harness leashes can't be escape proof and you'd live to regret that decision.

Just do yourself and the cat a favor for it's own safety - buy the appropriate carrying aparatice.

Respected Contributor

My vote is for a rollling Hard sided carrier.  Something comfortably big enough for him.  The soft sided carriers are nice IF your cat doesn't push her nose between the pair of zippers and open the darned thing.  and IF after you locked the zipper tabs together so she couldn't push her nose through them  She doesn't Chew Through The Nylon Mesh siding.  Had me a nice sherpa bag that she pushed through then ATE through.  Hard sided from then on.  Plus it made a comfy Den with the door proped open  and a comforter draped over it.  Boy cat used it all the time.  Good luck with your Visit!

Respected Contributor

I have an 18-pound boy and shoulder spurs, which makes carrying his case by the handle a challenge, especially since the vet's office is up a ramp.

I considered a wheeled carrier with a handle or rigging up something myself, but ended up ordering the Cosco Shifter 300-Pound Capacity Multi-Position Folding Hand Truck and Cart from Amazon. It works 3 ways, as a handtruck, a flatbed cart with handle, and the same flatbed with the handle down if you want a dolly function with no handle in the way. It's available in black with green, pink, or orange. I bought orange because the cat is orange. 

I have used this cart for so many things since buying it, not least of which was taking all 3 cats to the vet at the same time, each in a carrier, and getting all 3 carriers onto the cart at once and getting to and from the vet without mishap. I purchased a set of Reese Orange Fat Strap Bungees (should be Flat) that are flat bungee cords that adjust from10" to 48" long. They secured the carriers through the handles perfectly. I thought if the cords were flat, they'd be less likely to roll, and that turned out to be true.

At the moment, the Cosco cart is under $60 and the bungee straps are under $10 a pair. 

Good luck finding a solution that works for you. This one worked for me, and probably cost less than a carrier I couldn't use for anything but toting His Royal Fatness around.

Respected Contributor

P.S. The boy has a very big, collapsible hard-sided carrier. The other carriers were also hard-sides. I never want to add claustrophobia to the trauma of going to the vet's office.