Honored Contributor

Re: Taking a large cat to the vet

@happycat   How did it go with getting your cat to the Vet?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, it went surprising well.

I actually took 2 cats to the vet yesterday to get their shots. I took my one eyed wonder kitten first, he needed a booster shot.  While I was talking to the veterinarian, I mentioned to her how big Tom had gotten and I wasn't sure how he was going to do in either of my pet carriers.

She went to the back, and came out with this heavy cardboard box that is for transporting animals, I'm guessing mainly cats, because you just put your cat down into it instead of trying to get them in the pet carrier, and close the lid. It has ventilation holes and says Henry Shien Animal Health on it if anyone is interested.

I brought it home with me and I have never had it so easy getting a grown cat into any pet carrier. I was so impressed with this gizmo I asked where they got it. One of the girls working the counter said she thought they still had some for sale. I bought one.

I will probably get one of the roller things from Amazon though, that someone mentioned because all three of my dogs are heavy and it would be difficult to carry either of them if they were ever not able to walk.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad it went well today @happycat !

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @NickNack, me too. 

Honored Contributor

I can understand if the cat is a certain breed that is large (I have seen on TV) but if it is due to a poor diet (treats, table food) that is really a shame.  It is so unhealthy for cats to be overweight due to diet.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I can understand if the cat is a certain breed that is large (I have seen on TV) but if it is due to a poor diet (treats, table food) that is really a shame.  It is so unhealthy for cats to be overweight due to diet.

The vet said he was healthy and beautiful, and just a very large cat. He isn't fat, he is just big all over. His mother was a stray, who I got to the vet too late to get spayed. She is now, and he is neutered. I have no idea who the father was, but his mother is rather small, so I'm thinking the dad must be a very large cat.

My momma use to take piano lessons from a woman with a very fat cat. It was so chubby it could hardly get around. I wouldn't do that to a cat or a dog for that matter. 

Actually, I have wondered if the dad wasn't a bobcat or some other kind of a large, wild breed of cat, because this cat is just built big, not fat though. Probably, the dad is just a large cat though.