Frequent Contributor

Tactful way to decline neighbor's request for repeated cat sitting

[ Edited ]

I don't stay at her home, I go mornings and evenings to feed, change water, clean litter box, sweep litter off her floors and play with the cat from afar, who is very skittish. 

Hi pet lovers, a little background, a few months ago, a neighbor moved in, I was outside, she came over and introduced herself and asked if I knew anyone who could cat sit her cat while she was gone for a week, instead of saying I didn't know anyone, foolish me, without thinking ahead to her future requests for cat sitting, I offered, thinking it was going to be a one off. 

It's not been a one off, she has since asked me two more times, I agreed one time and the next time I told her I could not, I just said I wouldn't be unavailabe, thinking since I refused her request, she wouldn't ask again. Wrong. She has an upcoming trip in a couple weeks, could I cat sit? And then asked if I might be willng to feed the cat on a continous basis while she takes one or two day trips. 

Is there a way other than saying I don't want to cat sit, so as not to make her feel awkward.  Letme know what you think, and thank you so much! 

ps I don't have a specific reason that I do not want to cat sit, I just don't want to do it anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tactful way to decline neighbor's request for repeated cat sitting

[ Edited ]

@Jaynah You don't owe anyone an explanation when you don't want to do something.

However, in the interest of pleasant neighbor relations, just say something like "I'm so busy with many things I just don't have time."  It's a polite but firm "no." 

Repeat as necessary!

Suggest she contact local vets and animal shelters as they can be a resource for pet sitters or someone to come and care for her kitty.

I have loved cats all my life and in the past have done some kitty sitting and loved it.

If you start this precedent you'll never be free of her. Hope this helps somewhat.

Honored Contributor

@Jaynah  Just say no.  Reason not necessary. 

Why you think she will feel awkward is beyond me!  She is trying to take advantage of you because I assume you did NOT charg her for cat sitting.  If she can get away w/it once, she will keep trying.  I don't blame her......FREE pet sitter.......................

icon_coffee.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Wow, she is definitely using your good nature to continue to use you as her cat sitter!

If it were me, I would tell her that I didn't intend for this to be a continuous thing and then I would recommend that she look up cat or pet sitters in her area, interview some, get reviews and also ask any other neighbors with pets who they might have used.

You know kind of like what every pet owner has to do, and pay them well too and find people who like to do this for pay, especially if they take off for weeks or days frequently!

I'm mad for your sake! Want me to come over and talk to her lol?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

just tell her it's too much for you.....if she's bold enough to keep asking...don't worry about her feelings....you're not in charge of helping her with her cat.......don't let it go on longer.....obviously she's just gonna keep taking advantage of you....

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaynah,  for me personally I would agree to do it one more time while telling her I can't do it any longer but will "ask around" to see  if someone I know is willing to cat sit.

Maybe even go out of your way to find a list of nearby pet sitters.  Since it seems she will be in frequent need of a sitter she really should be hiring someone that does it as a business.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Frequent Contributor

Hi love my grandkids, what a sweet answer you gave! I chuckled at start a precedent, I feel the precedent has already started! :-)

Thank you for your sensible response, I am one of those who can't say no, that is why I'm having a difficult time politely declining. 

That is a great suggestion you gave, thank you! <3

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@Jaynah,  for me personally I would agree to do it one more time while telling her I can't do it any longer but will "ask around" to see  if someone I know is willing to cat sit.

Maybe even go out of your way to find a list of nearby pet sitters.  Since it seems she will be in frequent need of a sitter she really should be hiring someone that does it as a business.

i wouldn't offer to help her find a replacement for you.....not your job......very nervy.....especially of a new neighbor.....

Honored Contributor

@Jaynah,

I like these other responses too.

Since she is rude enough to take advantage of you, you really don't owe her any explanation aside from you just can't do it anymore.

I'm not sure how friendly you want to be with someone like that anyway.

I had a neighbor who traveled a lot too, I think for work. She asked me to feed her cat for a week, change litter etc. I did and as much as I love any animal, its a lot out of your day to go over twice and do all you need to esp with 3 young kids of mine. However, she paid me $50 which back then was a good and fair amount.

But she also never asked me again and I was glad. She got someone who was a pet sitter.

That is the way it should be.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

Hi on the bay, thank you for your common sense answer. 

I was thinking she might feel awkward in my saying no, because she may think she is imposing on me. (rightly so, she is. ha)

You're so sweet, you'll come over and talk to her ---- :-) :-) laughed at that one, thank you!