Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover

they're probably flying over to my yardWoman Very Happy  Just feed them Cheerios or Grapenuts - I can attest they'll be back for more! (eventually, you'll learn their feeding time!)  Mornings can be rough - you wont need an alarm for the leader stands outside a window and calls the others to breakfast!Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

There is a flock of beautiful turkeys that hang out in the areas surrounding my work building. The flock has grown from about 15 over the last few years to 21 this year. One of the birds is preominately white-feathered with brown and black feathers interspursed.

This flock is funny and I'm not sure how bright they are. Sometimes half the flock flies over the wire fence to a wooded area and the other half just gawks at them - like they can't figure out how to fly over and rejoin the rest of the gang.

Somehow though the flock eventually comes back together again.

When the mamas have babies, sometimes the chicks go under the wire fence and mama goes nuts. I try to tiptoe around and open the gate the to help get them back together but the mamas just run in the other direction. Sadly, many times I've seen mamas start with a few chicks and end up with only one after a couple months. There are prey birds and critters around the area too so a seperated chick is pretty much a meal.

Everyone loves it when the flock returns except for one thing - we have to watch out for masses of turkey poop around the area!

Respected Contributor

A flock of turkeys would come around our Colorado log home and we would feed them corn from the feed store...

I was amazed at how brave they were and I'm sure they would have followed us right into the house if we would have given them a chance. Seeing these big birds fly up on the railing then on to the deck was quite a sight !

Trusted Contributor

Re: TURKEYS TRAINED ME!

[ Edited ]

I have really enjoyed hearing about your turkey and other critter stories!

I laughed while reading this thread, at the really cute descriptions that you have all shared from your critter stories! Heart

I never cease to be amazed at how smart all of these beautiful creatures are. They certainly can bring such joy to our lives.

I love watching the little chipmunks and squirrels run around, too. They're so busy during the Fall, it seems. 

We have wild turkeys here in WI, but we don't have any in the area where we live. My DH and I have seen them when we have been driving, and I enjoy watching them when we do see them. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Any Turkey Sightings ??      Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Been feeding them twice a day since the snow last week.  Already finished two boxes of cereal and now halfway thru a huge box of Cheerios I picked up Sunday!  There's a bird sanctuary across Rte20 and lots of birds visit here.  Gotta go out and buy more Cheerios (probably two boxes the snow ain't gonna melt!) tomorrowWoman LOL

Frequent Contributor

Re: TURKEYS TRAINED ME!

[ Edited ]

I don't know about turkeys, but I feed birds, bunnies and squirrels (or you could say any critter that comes by I guess).  The kicker is I get up during the night to feed so they'll have their breakfast at the crack of dawn. Sometimes I think I'm cracked for doing this (lol).

One thing for sure, all of our grocery lists probably look the same: cheerios, check...peanuts, check...and so on.  You can spot the animal/nature lover shopping carts a mile away.  God bless you all.