Respected Contributor

TSV 8/5/21 - Slatkin candles-safe for dogs?

I've read that most candles (and other aromatherpy items) can be toxic for dogs... not so good for humans either, but more so for dogs.  I haven't burned candles in years; I'm afraid of the toxins released.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Re: TSV 8/5/21 - Slatkin candles-safe for dogs?

I have 2 dogs.

I have burned candles their entire lives.  Including Slatkin and the 3 dogs we had before.

All live to ripe old doggy ages!

No problems for them or me.

They are complete healthy.  What  toxins????...my puggle is 15 and has had them burning since she was a pup

Where did you read this?  Is it a reliable source?

How come my vets have never mentioned it?

Can you provide the source?

Honored Contributor

@spent2much - DH (a veterinarian) always says yes.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

You could diffuse essential oils instead or simmer things on a stovetop (orange peels, cinnamon sticks, etc). 

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife  I just did a google search "candles dangerous for dogs" and it came up with tons of info.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much 

This is what first came up when I searched

"While the scents used in Homesick scented candles are not harmful to dogs and other pets, some scented candles and air fresheners, such as plug-ins and aerosol types, may contain irritating or harmful ingredients. ... With this in mind, it's recommended you don't apply essential oils directly to your dog's skin or fur."

I would think it is common sense NOT to apply oils or aerosol room freshners to your dog!

"If you can't do without a regular "flame candle," opt for the "cleaner-burning" candles that are made from soy, beeswax, or vegetable wax. Avoid those made from (or with) paraffin, as that can release more potential impurities and irritants that can bother both your and your pet's respiratory system"

All the Slatkin candles I have purchased (and other brands as well) are SOY

"Yankee. Are Yankee candles toxic to dogs? Yankee uses refined paraffin wax which is considered non-toxic when burning and does not emit enough bad fumes for concern. Paraffin wax is actually added to thousands of cosmetic and medical products; however, if your dog has consumed the candle, this would be toxic"

Again, considered non-toxic and gosh NO, never let a dog or cat eat them.

I really couldn't find any hard evidence that all candles are unsafe around pets.  I definitely can not substanciate your claim that 'most candles are harmful and toxic'