Super Contributor

Re: THEY ALL PASSED THEIR FINAL EXAM

@Puppy Lips @Goldengate8361 - You both make great points! I say it speaks to all the animals involved in this picture. Not all dogs or cats would act the same. The cat is extremely brave in this picture and the dogs are well behaved. In the long run though, it's the K-9's who one day may very well pay the price of their bravery. 

Honored Contributor

Attention!!!!!  Ok, guys you have done well, remember cats are your friends not your enemies!!!!!  Dismissed!!

Esteemed Contributor

@OneHappyHiker wrote:

@Puppy Lips @Goldengate8361 - You both make great points! I say it speaks to all the animals involved in this picture. Not all dogs or cats would act the same. The cat is extremely brave in this picture and the dogs are well behaved. In the long run though, it's the K-9's who one day may very well pay the price of their bravery. 

@OneHappyHiker I have mixed feelings on that.  Actually, they are not mixed at all.  Dogs put such trust in their owners and handlers.  Those police dogs are doing everything that is asked of them, not knowing the danger they could be in and not knowing they could be killed for it.  I just feel that somehow it is a betrayal of their loyalty.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@OneHappyHiker wrote:

@OneHappyHiker I have mixed feelings on that.  Actually, they are not mixed at all.  Dogs put such trust in their owners and handlers.  Those police dogs are doing everything that is asked of them, not knowing the danger they could be in and not knowing they could be killed for it.  I just feel that somehow it is a betrayal of their loyalty.

@Puppy Lips 100%! Actually, I started to write all about that, then deleted it because I totally went off topic and brought in EXACTLY what you said... ALL of it! I ALWAYS feel so horrible whenever I see these K-9's go into these situations and of course when they are injured or killed. Knowing dogs, you are absolutely right... they are LOYAL and would do anything for their family... this case their families are also the families who do, yes they do, knowingly put these loyal creatures in harm's way.

So then I always say to my DH.... if that dog were given the opportunity to actually understand the potential consequences of this position in life they were brought into, would these K-9's stay? Leave? Not want it at all? Love it?

Because they are so loyal and do everything to please their handlers/families... they are doing what they are expected to do, and like it BECAUSE they ARE pleasing their people.  While there is satisfaction on their part after finding contraband.... they still don't know they could be killed or injured.

Betrayal of their loyalty is perfectly spoken. I also feel K-9 handlers know what might happen and undoubtedly have a hard time dealing with the fact they are responsible for putting these K-9's in those positions. But... it's the same position they are putting themselves in.  It's a mindset I for sure will never know.

I think you see why I didn't add all this.... it will never be a level playing field until K-9's can know what might happen in these positions the way a human knows. And to add to it, some people feel these dogs DO know after they begin going on assignments.

Thanks for your comments! 

Respected Contributor

Not to be a wet blanket but...I notice the cat is walking through a puddle. Would most cats willingly do that?

Anyway, I love both cats and dogs--especially German Shepherds. So noble and yet as playful as puppies.