Honored Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER JUNE 29-JULY 5

@Sheltie Mom wrote:
Happy Monday! I have become quite the lollygagger strolling in at 1:30, lol!

Thanks Beastie for the start up!

Ok, I am in troubl already, I cannot scroll back to see the posters name who asked about the paw licking. I know I can respond indidually to posts, but that's not what I want to do. Smiley Sad I just wanted to say that Doxie had some good advice and I'm sure it is just going to take a while to retrain. I did wonder if salt water would be a further irritant though?

Doxie, I know that walking the labyrinth without Schatzie must have been emotional, but I think you are right, she is at the other end to get those prayers and deliver them!

Panda, you know I will be saying extra prayers as you go into surgery tomorrow. Please have your DH update as usual and thank him so much.

Ok, lunch break is over, have a good afternoon!

Hi Sheltie..

It was goldenlocks who posed the question. If you want to answer her post directly, you first need to hit the REPLY button on the lower right of her post..then hit the QUOTE button in the upper right. Personally I think all of these extra steps are STUPID and still continue to think that the Q did all of us a great disservice with their moronic "updates"!!!

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Super Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Hi, LuvMySpaniels (they're cute!) - I've done the diet thing to no avail.  What kind of treats to you give your babies?  I buy Greenies for Hip and Joint, Meaty Bones, Pupperoni, Tbonz(for dessert after each meal) and then something different like pig ears.  She refuses to eat raw carrots, but likes carrots cooked in broth; and likes Friendly's ice cream and any kind of yogurt from plain greek to yoplait.  She does love pasta and basmati rice, but I kinda try to hold back due to the wheat and rice thing.  Beginning to think perhaps I should only give her fruit and veggies to snack on.  What's your take on that? 

Could the lactose from the dairy products be the culprit?   Also, most of the treats you mentioned are imported ...  look for USA products if possible.    Pupperonis contain nitrites and dyes, and since dyes are petroleum based, this can cause a reaction in pets.

My dogs consume a brand called "Full Moon" chicken jerky which is 100% human grade, made in USA.  Ideally, veggies as a treat would be the best choice.  Hopefully, you will soon find the answer to your dog's dilemma.

Respected Contributor

I have used the zukes salmon treats and they love thm. I would probably cut out the pasta and rice and watch the yogurt for the sweeteners. I think the low calorie ones are not good for them at all. Plain yogurt is fine. In your carrots cooked in broth I would make sure it is low sodium or no sodium

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

I d/n realize until I bent over to kiss her for heeling so well that she wasn't on the other end....felt very foolish.  To make matters worse, we're on top of a hill so was hoping that none of the neighbors saw me walking around the yard, dragging a leash and talking to myselfWoman Embarassed  And, to tope it all off, Jade was sitting y the backsteps laughing at me!!!!!  (When I told them at rescue I wanted her (she had actually picked me out) she stood up, leaning on the counter next to me with this great big smile on her face - the same great big smile she had when I realized I had been walking around, dragging the leash, etc.)  Needless to say, she's spoiled - sometimes ya just have to laugh at yourself and go with the floe!  Now I always keep checking to make sure she's walking next to me.  I do get frustrated when she refuses to walk and I have to give in 'cause we're about th same size - got about twenty lbs on her, but she's stronger and the pack leader when outside.  Inside, I'm usually leader of the pack!!!

She catches the ball and brings it back to me - she'll put it in my hand usually.

Now she's got a "wound" on one paw.  She was walking fine this a.m., but think she chewed when I wasn't looking 'cause she's limping again.  she'll go into a different room when I'm busy so I don't realize she's chewing!  Gotta soak, etc. again.  Just very difficult habit to break!

Esteemed Contributor

Okay - no more pupperoni.  And, probably Beggin, too??  I have pure beef jerky for her and will have to get chicken jerky, too.  What about Meaty Bones - shewon't eat Milk Bones - she's very fussy with her treats.  If she d/n like them, I have to give them away!  She totally loves anything dairy.  I buy organic milk, but maybe you're right.  I'll have to keep her off dairy.  That means me t  oo - even if I do a protein shake she wants one, so I'll just have to put water in it instead of the milk.  Are eggs ok?  and cheese?  she checks out the fridge when I open it and waits to make sure I take some out for her, too.  I'll look for FullMoon - will see what I can find on Drs Foster and Smith. too.  I try to buy only USA made, but it's tricky.  Guess I'll be steaming up some carrots and string beans for her - have to season them though - she likes spicy.  She's from PuertoRico and think she must have been brought up on spicy foods.  Thanx for the advice..

Esteemed Contributor

beastielove, I told the vet I use tepid water and sea salt and he told me to continue.  We belong to Banfield and all of their doctors are from Tufts Univ med schl in nearby Grafton, MA.  Of course he also told me to try the kongs stufed with cookie and yogurt to stop the chewing nd that didn't work....  Do you think I should perhaps was her paws with Philosophy or Wen?  or Perlier?  those are pretty gentle?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll pick up some plain greek yogurt - Jade loves it.  Perhaps, could dip the veggies in it.  Sh won't eat raw veggies plain, but perhaps dipped in yogut might do it.  Or perhaps, tuna salad with chopped veggies and a pinch of mayo.  She does like veggies cooked in a broth - but she d/n like 'blah' food.  Where did you get the salmon treats?  I get various type of canned food 'cause she won't eat her kibble plain and she asks for seconds when I put the salmon stew over it!

Super Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Okay - no more pupperoni.  And, probably Beggin, too??  I have pure beef jerky for her and will have to get chicken jerky, too.  What about Meaty Bones - shewon't eat Milk Bones - she's very fussy with her treats.  If she d/n like them, I have to give them away!  She totally loves anything dairy.  I buy organic milk, but maybe you're right.  I'll have to keep her off dairy.  That means me t  oo - even if I do a protein shake she wants one, so I'll just have to put water in it instead of the milk.  Are eggs ok?  and cheese?  she checks out the fridge when I open it and waits to make sure I take some out for her, too.  I'll look for FullMoon - will see what I can find on Drs Foster and Smith. too.  I try to buy only USA made, but it's tricky.  Guess I'll be steaming up some carrots and string beans for her - have to season them though - she likes spicy.  She's from PuertoRico and think she must have been brought up on spicy foods.  Thanx for the advice..

Hello,

No Beggin Strips (some ingreds. from China, yet pkg'd. in USA) ... dyes & preservatives.

No Meaty Bones (dyes & preservatives).

Use lactose-free milk ... I use to make homemade dog biscuits.

Cheese & eggs are fine.

“Full Moon” products can be purchased at Food Lion or Walmart.

Yes, all the carrots and peas she wants!       Buena suerte (good luck)!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx.  I'll need buena suerte!  (Gotta learn Spanish 'cause Jade knows all her commands in Spanish:  I've got come eat your dinner <though I seldom use that phrase and sit <which she d/n always listen to when we go riding>.)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]
I know how it works @beastielove, as I said in my post, I don't want to reply to one post at a time.

Maddie/apple, just wanted to wave hi, missed you during my lunch break fly by!