Respected Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER JUNE 29-JULY 5

sheltie- 

good you posted... you do not want me making up ****** about you!

doxie

Respected Contributor

goldenlocks

I had to try to determine if it was a nervous habit or out of boredom. It seemed like both at different times. For the nervous habit I had to determine if it was a texture thing. She wanted something "furry" so I got her a furry frog. She likcked that thing and I was happy and she was happy. I did have to give it to her when she started on her paw and encourage her to lick the right thing.

I did get one on the treat dispensers that I could put kibble in and the kong that you put the paste in. Those helped for boredom as well as more activity. They did not help with the texture thing.

Be careful with the kong paste thing and do not leave unattended. She went so hard after it she got her tongue stuck. It would have been bad if I was not around.

There was also a hedghog  and a flea that she loved. They were hairy.

I could not just give it to her and expect her to use it. I had to keep giving it to her when she started to lick the leg. It would work for you since you are around her most of the day.

Esteemed Contributor

It must be boredom.  I'll have to pick up something she can chew and lick - and maybe squeak (she hates kongs but loves squeaky toys) but need something tough - she's an English Lab - strong hunting instincts and can really chew things.  Again, thanx for your advice! 

Respected Contributor

I would make sure she gets plenty of exercise and see if it helps. Will she retrieve a tennis ball for you? Be careful with toys she can destroy because they can swallow them and have major issues. Go to a website for pet stuff and type in indestructable toys and see if any would please her.

It can still be a nervous habit. I saw a combination of both with my dog. She liked the texture of fur or carpet.

I bet if she had a good exercise she would be too pooped to lick!

Super Contributor

Feb 15 2010 Playtime 001.jpg

Happy Monday!

My two dogs shown here are litter-mates....always having the same health issues.   Last year, it was non-stop licking and chewing of their paws; then I discovered they had a yeast infection caused by too much wheat and rice.   I curtailed their intake of dog biscuits (Iams brand) and they were cured!   The tell-tail sign of a probable yeast infection is that a dog’s paws smell like corn chips (Fritos).

Panda .... Tuesday will be a challenge, and we pray that your recovery will be quick and your stamina will return soon for the holiday weekend.

And hoping everyone’s Fourth of July will be full of fun activities for the family and fur-babies.

Esteemed Contributor

She doesn't chew her toys:  the stuffed toys tend to rip apart from pulling as she loves to play tug of war (and wins).  Her balls eventually get teeth-holes but just from catching:  she loves to play ball - I tell her she'd give Big Poppy a run for his money!  Got her a football from Petsmart and she actually would jump up and catch it with her paws!!!  The only thing she chews - aside from devouring those special bones that are supposed to last for "hours" (and s/b labeled minutes) - are her paws!  As far as walking, usually walk her around her fenced-in yard (a good size!) but she gets bored and either slips out of her collar and grins at me when I finally realize I'm just walking around with a leash; or, she'll just stop walking - then I can't go anywhere (she k  inda walks me).I'll search online and see what toy I can come up with.  Thanx.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, LuvMySpaniels (they're cute!) - I've done the diet thing to no avail.  What kind of treats to you give your babies?  I buy Greenies for Hip and Joint, Meaty Bones, Pupperoni, Tbonz(for dessert after each meal) and then something different like pig ears.  She refuses to eat raw carrots, but likes carrots cooked in broth; and likes Friendly's ice cream and any kind of yogurt from plain greek to yoplait.  She does love pasta and basmati rice, but I kinda try to hold back due to the wheat and rice thing.  Beginning to think perhaps I should only give her fruit and veggies to snack on.  What's your take on that? 

Respected Contributor

luvmy spaniels

Your babies are way too cute. I know you have a lot of fun with them. I am laughing at smelling paws for a frito small. I always hate frito and dorito breath after someone eats them.

I watch what I feed also.

doxie

Respected Contributor

goldenlocks - I am laughing at the visual of her watching you walk the leash! Is it all paws, or just one?

They chew on them enough to get infected or fungal and then you have to treat that which is hard when they keep licking.

Will she fetch the ball if you throw it?

doxie

Respected Contributor

My dog will destroy and consume toys. She is like a Pez dispenser. She is very limited with toys. She does love her fleece though.

doxie