Regular Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER JAN. 18 - JAN. 24

@Lyn08 wrote:

I'm getting my new kitty this week (first cat ever), and I'm a nervous wreck.  I know I'll love her to pieces when I get her, and I was told I'll wish I had done this sooner.  But I'm so afraid I'll do something wrong.  Is it okay if I ask questions from time to time, since I know many of you have kitties?  

We read that you should get kittens to take home at 10 weeks old as this allows them time to get all of the mommy and brother/sister training. The mommy will keep on training even after she has weened them. They learn so much from her as to how to act. If you get a kitten too early they can become "scaredy cats" and be nervous.  You are going to love having a cat especially when they start purring and do the head "bunting" it is wonderful!

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

@Suzy CurlyQ (what a cute name!).  My kitty will be 10 weeks old when I bring her home.  I've met her already, and she's really sweet. 

Esteemed Contributor

@beastielove and others on __*Pet Chat. Did you read about the 3 month old puppy ( on another Pet Lovers' thread) left out in the frigid cold. 

I posted back in RED

"..wanted others to read what is actually happening that other homeless pets or unwanted animals are doing to try and survive with out any help"..

THEY HAVE NO WARM COZY HOME OR CAREGIVER!

NAES with love

Thank you, beastielove in asking as a HOPE for KitTEE. I'll be back later to update of her living under some shed in 0 degrees temperature. I can not catch her but she is fed and pampered well -from a distance.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lyn08 wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ (what a cute name!).  My kitty will be 10 weeks old when I bring her home.  I've met her already, and she's really sweet. 

Lyn08, thank you! And I am sooo happy you are getting a kitty! When we got our rescue (left on my porch in a taped box so that she wouldn't be able to leave... I know ! what the heck!  She got two baths too that's how stinky she was! ) Little did we know how we would love her so! She was also pregnant and then we had little kitties, it was such a thrill. I could now easily become the "cat lady" everyone has in their neighborhood. Ha ha!  We hadn't had cats in many years so we had forgotten all the wonderful things they bring.  

A little story:

I was laying/ trying to sleep on the couch in the  living room one night (insomnia) and all of a sudden I could feel a bunch of wierd sensations on my chest and I open my eyes and what do I see? But the kittens were wrestling and jumping all over the couch and then land on me and rolling around it was so silly. They were light as a feather but old enough to play and jump and such. 

I will never forget that. It was so funny.  Think of "crash" and "eddie"...

also,...

You will be suprised at how quickly they learn to potty train too. Just keep the litter clean and it will not wander from the litter box to go to the "bathroom" anywhere else in the house. 

Gosh this was a long post! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@Doxie wrote:

Welcome to the chat suzy

doxie

Doxie, Thank you!!!!  

Respected Contributor

@Suzy CurlyQ - That is such a cute story!  I'm sure I'll have lots of stories to tell once my kitty is home with me.  I feel like a nervous, expectant mother right now!

Can you recommend any toys your kitties like to play with, especially when they are on their own?  I plan to spend a lot of time with my new kitty, but I'll need to go out from time to time.  I'd like some safe toys that will keep her occupied while I'm gone.  

Regular Contributor

I have a few balls with little bells inside that he loves. I am sure that all the kitty toys from walmart or anywhere will be just fine just pick one that is your favorite. And don't worry too much just have fun! Smiley Wink Your kitty will let you know usually when they want something more than what you have already provided them. It's funny my cat let's me know if his bowl isn't full enough even when there is food in the bowl. ha ha!  Last night my daughter was walking behind the cat and I guess she got too close and he looked up at her and gave her a little meow! Like "hey don't step on me!" It was funny. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suzy CurlyQ - I had two appointments yesterday and ran several errands.  I did stop at PetCo, and they had a sale on a number of Christmas pet items.  I purchased a plastic ball with several small toys inside (the plastic ball was just to hold the toys and it had a ribbon on the top).  It was originally marked at $9.99 but marked down to 50 cents!  I should have bought two!

I don't have any balls with bells inside.  Where did you get those?

I forgot to ask...how often do you check the litter box (AM and evening?) and scoop?  Do you use baking soda in the litter to cut down on odors?  Do you use a covered or uncovered litter box?  I was told to start with an open litter box first.  Where do you keep your litter box?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lyn08 wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ - I had two appointments yesterday and ran several errands.  I did stop at PetCo, and they had a sale on a number of Christmas pet items.  I purchased a plastic ball with several small toys inside (the plastic ball was just to hold the toys and it had a ribbon on the top).  It was originally marked at $9.99 but marked down to 50 cents!  I should have bought two!

I don't have any balls with bells inside.  Where did you get those?

I forgot to ask...how often do you check the litter box (AM and evening?) and scoop?  Do you use baking soda in the litter to cut down on odors?  Do you use a covered or uncovered litter box?  I was told to start with an open litter box first.  Where do you keep your litter box?

My favorite cat litter  is corn cob cat litter. There's one in Walmart that is really cheap and it works great!!!! The litter box can be cleaned two times a day or even less with corn cob litter. And if you use the corn cob kind it really cuts down on the smell. Just try several different ones and you will find the one that fits your preferences. There's Arm and Hammer and others. We tried all the clumping and clay and such and this one is our favorite!

We keep ours at the moment, in our second bathroom. I need to get a covered one so that he doesn't fling cat litter all over. But yes, I bet you should start with an open one and then get a top for it. 

The little balls with bells inside I found at walmart too.

Honored Contributor

>^..^<   Mother Cat moved my kitchen throne over under the table because she thought it was too cold by the window.     Can't she see I'm wearing a FUR COAT?     I had to push it back by the window all by myself with my nose.

♥Surface of the Sun♥