Occasional Contributor

Re: THE PET CHAT CORNER APR. 4 - APR. 10

Thank you for welcoming comment. I am 63 ,woman who is an absolute doggie lover. Right now I have a Mesoamerican shepherd female named tula.

Honored Contributor

@Lyn08    That doesn't sound like enough food to me........Can you ask the former owner how much to give the cat?????

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Daisy is sad...sweater went back on in the snow.
IMG_20160224_1240512_rewind.jpg

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi - I'm feeding her a bit more.  She comes to me meowing when I know she wants more food.  I'm definitely not over-feeding her.  I've read that it's important not to "free feed" dry food.  Most cats get overweight that way.

Honored Contributor

galeann wrote:

Thank you for welcoming comment. I am 63 ,woman who is an absolute doggie lover. Right now I have a Mesoamerican shepherd female named tula.

Welcome to the PCC galeann...and Tula too! We always love Heartto add new members to our wonder-fur family! Cat Very Happy

I start a new thread every Monday morning and usually do it before I even feed my  five kitties (all rescues)...Tabitha,Samantha,Oliva,Henry and Jack!

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@Lyn08 wrote:

@Desertdi - It's really hard to understand cats -- I'm still learning.  Right now, I'm on the laptop on my dining room table (which I'm using as my desk).   She's sleeping under my dining room buffet (in back of me).

I gave her some Fancy Feast Classic Salmon wet food (1/4 of a 3 oz can).  When I store the unused portions in the refrigerator, I heat the wet food in the microwave 7 seconds, just until it's at room temperature.  She ate all of that and seemed to want more.  I have some dry food out for her also (not much though).  According to the feeding directions on the can, I should be feeding her 2 cans of Fancy Feast per day -- that's way too much, according to the vet, since I'm also feeding her 1/4 cup of dry food.  I'm feeding her the right amount to maintain her weight.  she's not terribly active (unless she gets the wild burst of energy a couple times a day).

I didn't think it's be this difficult to have a cat.  Others I've talked with say it's easy as pie, ha!

@Lyn08, You are trying too hard too fast. Bonding with a cat does not happen quickly. Feed her a can of Fancy Feast at the same time each day. Keep dry kibble out and available to her free choice. Cats like to graze. This will make for a much more contented kitty. Don't be concerned with her weight unless she starts gaining too much. The cats I have had do not over eat like dogs do. Young cats do like to run fast as lightening. One of mine would run across the back of our sofa, and arch her back at the picture hanging above, then she would take off running. They are playing. I am giving you this information to assist you, and not meaning to tell you what to do. I can sense you are apprehensive, and really the more relaxed you are your kitty will be also. You should not tiptoe around her. Let her adapt to your television schedule, and not the other way around. I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Welcome to the pet chat.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday. We are having nice weather. I think we will get some more rain tomorrow.

doxie

Respected Contributor

Waving to Skylark!  Awww...Daisy, you look so cute!!!  The sun will shine again and the flowers will bloom and you can put away your sweater unitl winter!  Be patient, sweet girl!Cat Very Happy

Welcome to Pet Chat, galeann and Tula.  Are you from GA?  That's where I am from!  Beastie is our wonderful leader starting this great conversation each week.  Glad you are now part of the family!

Desertdi, you are being so helpful!  Lyn08, best wishes on bonding with your new kitty!

Doxie, good to hear from you. We're expecting rain on Tuesday!

brb and apple, I hope you are both feeling well today!

Hello to everyone on the PCC  and their furbabies this super Sunday!  I do have a prayer request.  My primary care physician was out riding bikes with his cycling club on Wednesday evening.  He was struck by a car from behind and died hours later.  I am asking for prayers for this doctor's family.  He had been mine and DH's PCP for almost 20 years.  Many wonderful doctors in the practice but he is irreplacable!

Hugs, prayers and love to all!

Panda

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tissyanne - If I feed her a whole can of cat food at one time, she'll only eat 1/4 of it.  That's why I decided to divide it 3 x day.  I do add a bit more dry food a little at a time.  Otherwise, she tends to eat too much of it at one time.  

I think I overfed her yesterday, because I found a stain on the carpet by her cat tree this morning (I think she threw up, but there wasn't a hairball).  I used a pet stain remover, so I think I got the stain up (I'll have to check it when it dries).

I haven't been feeling well today (chills, scratchy throat, sneezing).  Usually, the cat doesn't like me watching TV in the den (I think she feels that's her room).  Last night, I wanted to watch a 1-hour TV program I had on DVR.  She jumped up on the TV cabinet, stood in front of the TV, then climbed to the top of my bookcase, jumped down and walked over to my printer and sat on the printer paper.  I wasn't able to watch the TV show, so I played with her instead and gave her several treats.  She was very, very active last night.

Since I'm not feeling good today, I decided I go in the den again and see if I could watch another show I had on DVR.  This time, for the very, very first time, she climbed up on the loveseat and sat next to me.  I was able to pet her while watching the show for several minutes.  Then she moved over to another chair and sat down there.  She didn't climb up on the TV cabinet and position herself in front of the TV this time.  I wonder if she knew I wasn't feeling good.

I was supposed to meet today with this lady that wants a companion for her male cat (her second cat had to be put to sleep because of cancer), as he is pining for her.  I still wonder if my cat would be better off with a cat companion to play with.  Since I was sick today, we have to reschedule for another day (I haven't set anything up yet).  My condo doesn't allow more than one cat, and the one I have is a companion pet.

By the way, I felt okay yesterday, and decided to do some cooking when she was sleeping.  I made hamburger stroganoff, meat loaf, baked potatoes (white and sweet), and apple crisp.  My cousin said there was no reason I should stop cooking just because I have a cat.  I was able to get everything done and the dishwasher loaded before the cat came in the kitchen.  I am glad I was able to do that.