Respected Contributor

Teaspoon my 16 yr old Maltese, some of you may remember my posts about her health.  She's been on meds for her heart, and monitor her blood.  About a month ago, she was said to be stage 3 kidney failure.  So as a last possible help my vet suggested Azodyl...its a mix of probiotics and other ingredients to help improve kidney function.  We were also hoping this would increase her appetite and put some weight back on.  She lost ALOT of weight in a couple of months.   She's been on the Azodyl for about a month, and I honestly can't say I'm seeing any improvement.  Now, she's having bathroom problems...was going a little loose, or struggling to go. Last week I noticed she was messy and leaky, her rectum looked swollen.   I've been washing her,  and yesterday I took her to a private groomer in my development and she immediately knew her ****** glands were packed.  I always groomed Teaspoon myself, but last time I knew I needed a little help holding her, so this wonderful lady let's me stay and help.  She placed Teaspoon in the bath, and manually expressed her glands...I've never had to have this done, she never had any problems.  My gosh, so much came out, and her butt returned to normal immediately.   Groomer said if I had not noticed a problem, it could have ruptured soon.

I dont know what to do anymore,  we're thinking maybe the Azodyl caused too soft of stools and interferes with the expelling of the ****** glands,  or is it her age, 16,  I just don't know anymore.  I haven't changed anything except started the Azodyl, and now this.  Last couple days, not eating much at all, again,  and today took her forever to poop...poor girl squatting for over 10 minutes.  I do add pumpkin to her food...and she's on cooked chicken, oatmeal, and a bit of green beans, all discussed with my vet.  Some days she eats, and some days barely.

My vet did say, the Azodyl isn't a cure at all, maybe a help, and it's not a must ...its just something to try and see if there's any improvement in appetite and help flush toxins...entirely up to me.  Im going to cut back to 3x a week until I finish the bottle...and let my vet know whats going on.  I think its her age, and I don't know how to help in that department...fiber is the best for this, and it's not helping 😥

Honored Contributor

Re: TEASPOON...MORE PROBLEMS

@Dazlin     You are doing everything possible for your sweet pup.  Just use your love for her and your judgement as time goes on as far as what is the next step.... and  as you are now doing. You are a wonderful pet mom. ((hugs)) and love sent to you and Teaspoon... I will keep you both in my thoughts.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I'm so sorry that Teaspoon is having these problems.  I'm glad you took him to the groomer.  I don't have any suggestions other than to discuss all this with your Vet, which you will do anyway.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin    So sorry about Teaspoon.  Our furry children age so quickly but we do have adequate time to fall in love so dearly and then it is time to let them go.  I am so sorry.  I have been through this so many times with both cats and dogs and it never gets any better.  It seems to hurt worse each time but try to know when the time comes that Teaspoon will love you for being compassionate and stopping the suffering.  We will be here to listen to you and cry with you if needed.  Kiss Teaspoon for all of us.

Honored Contributor

I hope your baby gets better soon.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Dazlin ~ Prayers to St. Anthony  for Teaspoon. 🙏🏻🐶🙏🏻

Esteemed Contributor

My hound dog started having problems with his ****** glands several months ago. I ended up getting him something called glandex. It has helped, its over the counter, I order it from either Chewy or Amazon. 

Also, I have given him unflavored fiber mixed up with chicken broth. 

I understand Teaspoon is an older dog, but maybe one of these things would help. Good luck. 

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin  It' so hard on the heart to watch our fur kids health falter, and I can tell how much you care and love your sweetie.  I'm praying that the right treatment can come your way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  My 16 year old Jack Russell liked  baby food. It's expensive for the meat type, but he loved it. 

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers , I'll try some baby food, thank you!