Honored Contributor

Re: TEASPOON BARELY EATING ☹

Would she take some warm chicken stock with a little of the bread?  Maybe stock with rice.

So sorry for you and your baby.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

@ECBGhas a good suggestion. Just make sure you use unsalted chicken broth...a pet with heart failure can't handle the fluid buildup that will come from the salt.

All you can do is all you can do.  I'm surprised your vet doesn't recommend the subq fluids, particularly because they'd make her feel better.  Even though she's drinking, that's not enough in a pet with kidney failure.

On personal experience, I agree with them on not stopping the lasix.  You do not want to go through what happens. We did and it was horrific.

You have to make the best choice for you on Easter dinner. Teaspoon is pretty frail now and it could either give her a boost or be too stressful. Make the call that is best for your peace of mind and comfort.  You've always done the very best for Teaspoon or she wouldn't still be here at her age--remember that.  You can't fail her. Heart

Respected Contributor

Good morning everyone...im just letting you know,  not much has changed for Teaspoon, except she's more selective on foods.  Some things she'll take, and some not.  When I offer what she liked yesterday, she doesn't want the next day.  Now she hasn't wanted bread I was able to spread something on, but yesterday I cut a piece of fresh Italian bread, she came over and ate a good amount(she always loved Italian bread).  Hit and miss with her treats, and getting reluctant to take her pill pocket with the meds, but she'll finally eat it.  I don't know how long that'll last since every day is different.  Shes not drinking the chicken broth either, but is drinking water throughout the day.  She's not showing signs of weakness yet either...still wanting to go outside,  still alert and letting me know.  I'm still getting a little of the Tomlyn paste into her.  I'm putting a bit in the pill pocket,  so thats pretty nutritious.  If that stops, Idk how else to get it into her since she's refusing most foods.  I can't imagine how long she'll go on like this...im waiting for signs of weakness or discomfort...breaks my heart.  Shes always been a little tough, so ill go along with whatever she says.  Thanks everyone!!

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin 

Good morning,

Will say a prayer for both your Sweet Teaspoon & yourself.  I'm sure Teaspoon will let you know as time goes on, but she'll do it with love in her eyes & heart for you.

You're a wonderful Mom.  (((hugs)))

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

Checking in on you and your beloved Teaspoon!

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I'm interested in hearing about Teaspoon, too.  I started to post a thread about this yesterday.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , and @Sammycat1 ,  Teaspoon is about the same as far as her energy and spirit keeping up.  I honestly don't know how she's doing it.  Foods are becoming less and less.  I bought her a cheese burger yesterday, but she wouldn't eat it.  She ate a little pizza the day before.  I keep trying everything,  canned tuna, treats, bread, you name it.  She won't take slice bread, I don't know why, but she wants Italian bread but seems to have a hard time swallowing it, even tiny pieces.  I can't figure, why somethings she take and others not.  She's basically down to the pill pockets with the Tomlyn paste, and maybe a treat or two.   Im heading to petco now to see if there's a nutritious soft treat I can try.   My daughter came by yesterday to try feed her, and she said she wouldn't put her down since she's still alert, attentive,  and getting around fine...pooping normal outside too, maybe just once.  I have to wait for the bad days to exceed the good days...just so hard to wonder and wait when that'll start.

I'm still very emotional and sad for her.  She watches me around the room,  keeps staring at me.  I just tell her ,It's O.K...mommy loves you!    I thank you both and everyone from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful support!!💓

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the update @Dazlin .  I'm very sorry.  It sounds like Teaspoon is being very stoic.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   Just sending you lots of love and healing prayers for Teaspoon. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ,  you said right.  Teaspoon has always been the little toughie,  she's boss.  When I had Maverick,  my 100 lb lab, and I took in my youngest daughter's pit bull, they always yielded to her...never touched her food or rawhide.  She puts up with anything and always super adaptable.  I used to take in the car, pick up my daughter with her, stay overnight at my daughter's, and she just made herself at home...ate their dogfood and helped herself to their water...so easy, a but a toughie 🙂.  So yes, it may very well be her disposition to put up.

I just came from Petco, picked up a nutritious treat, and some of their bakery.   Idk if she'll take it.