Respected Contributor

Re: TEASPOON BARELY EATING ☹

@NickNack , thank you!

@Sammycat1 ,  I think the pepcid is not agreeing with her.  After 1st dose, she didn't want to eat, and this morning threw up clear yellow liquid.   She has not done that for a while.  I just think it's odd this happened so abruptly right after the pepcid.  But at least the vet agreed to try.   I'm going to let it wear off, and see if she starts eating again...at least the bread, my gosh.    Thanks for putting up with me and I appreciate your input!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

I am NOT putting up with you...just trying to help.  That yellow liquid is probably bile..is it "foamy?"

You must be beside yourself and it's always comforted me to come here to the pet lovers forum for support.  Never apologize for reaching out about your furry beloved ones. We've all been in tough situations and stand ready to help, even if it's just to listen.  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 , appreciate that, your so patient, and definitely a help.  Yes, im feeling very tired and emotional, but I feel good the vet and office manager technician who has training in a higher field is standing by to advise.   Teaspoon is still bouncing around,  going out, so ill go by her behavior and I am keeping the fluid injection in mind...all depends what's going on.  Only thing, they said it only lasts about 2 days, then back to square one.   She just now licked the juice from tuna, and  a small piece of bread in it.  Shes trying, and so will I. 🙂     I'll post back if anything changes either way.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

Yes, the fluids are a regular thing, not a cure--they take over for flushing the toxins out of Teaspoon because the kidneys can't do it. I'm shocked that your vet's office hasn't recommended this.  It can be tricky with the CHF, but very doable. 

My pets had an extended good quality of life with the fluids--don't be afraid of this treatment!  It's about making her feel better.

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Dazlin 

Yes, the fluids are a regular thing, not a cure--they take over for flushing the toxins out of Teaspoon because the kidneys can't do it. I'm shocked that your vet's office hasn't recommended this.  It can be tricky with the CHF, but very doable. 

My pets had an extended good quality of life with the fluids--don't be afraid of this treatment!  It's about making her feel better.

@Sammycat1 ...they did suggest it, but they said it doesn't last more than 2 days.   I'll probably call them tomorrow.   Maybe they're thinking it's a bit late?  But gave options.    I don't want to stress her, just keep her comfortable.  It's very fine line, I have to be realistic considering her age, 16.7 yrs .

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Dazlin 

@Sammycat1 ...they did suggest it, but they said it doesn't last more than 2 days.   I'll probably call them tomorrow.   Maybe they're thinking it's a bit late?  But gave options.    I don't want to stress her, just keep her comfortable.  It's very fine line, I have to be realistic considering her age, 16.7 yrs .

Of course.  Yes, the fluids only last a few days. And it's not a bit late, it's just something that must be done at a certain stage. That's why you have to regularly administer them. It's sort of like, but not the same as, dialysis in people. After a "tutoring" session by the vet techs, my husband and I did this for pets up to 18 years old.

You are right, you have to keep her comfortable. Fluids are a huge part of that, but you have to consider her stress level and yours. It makes an enormous difference in keeping Teaspoon "non-toxic" from the kidney failure. 

I stress that you know best, however.  Hang in there!

Respected Contributor

@sammycat...Ok, good info. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I value the keeping her comfortable.
Respected Contributor

Teaspoon is doing better today.  She took her meds in the pill pocket and I added some paste.  She later ate bread with more paste, and a few blueberry treats.  She's drinking too.  Last night she wanted some of my mozzarella.  She was up twice last night to go out, at 1am, them 530 this morning.  Still very alert and getting around.  I put more tuna juice on her salmon and rice this morning, but just licks the juice.  

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin You are doing a great job of managing her and her whims.  I hope she continues to do well for you.  I had to manage 2 dogs 15 and 17 and it's not an easy job.  Keep up the good work.  Prayers for you both.

Respected Contributor

Just another update...I called the vet today, asked if I can stop her Lasix, because it's a diuretic and hard on the kidneys.   They advised against stopping it because then her lungs would fill with fluid.  I also asked about the subcutaneous fluids.  They said it will only flush her a  bit, and need to be done couple times a week.  Cost is $37, and it doesn't cure anything,  it's just a flush.  They also said as long as she's drinking, that's still good.  They didn't seem to encourage the subcutaneous fluid, but they don't tell me what to do either, which I appreciate.  We know it's getting close to the end, and I don't want to interfere or prolong what's to come naturally.   So far, she's stable, and the same,  but foods are very limited.   I offer anything throughout the day, and sometimes give her broth by the dropper, because she doesn't drink it.    I'm feeling really down, and I'm supposed to have Easter dinner here for my entire family,  and im not sure I'm up for it now.  They would understand but I hate to disappoint,  and im not looking to wallow in self pity either...so Idk yet.