Respected Contributor

Re: TEASPOON BARELY EATING ☹

I just want to cover a few things...and most of all thank each one of you for the great suggestions.  Today she ate 1/2 slice of bread I put on her ground beef with unsalted chicken broth. She ate a little of the beef too, but it's something.   

The Vet doesn't think she's in pain,  but explained that when the kidney's begin to fail, the BUN blood count goes up, and may cause nausea, which interferes with appetite.  That's why he said give her what she'll eat.  This is why I'm asking for suggestions.  Some good ones here I'll definitely try.   Teaspoon is not quite ready to depart yet.  Shes letting me know to go out, but does have accidents in the house, which I accept.   She wants her little rawhide twist.  She's like clockwork around 11 am asking for it🙂.  Since there are some foods she'll eat, and drinks well, gets around good, I have to go along for now.

I have had a vet come to my house at the end for my Lab, and my cat, 3 yrs ago...very peaceful.  Ill decide on that when time comes.   I'll know when her time is up, I've been there many times before.  Should she show further signs of decline I'll do what has to be done🥺.  I always say, this is what we sign up for when getting a pet, and also we have to help them as long as they can be helped without pain or suffering of course.  I realize this may be getting closer to the end, I'm not in denial and I'll address it when it comes.  Thank you all , and please send along any suggestions for foods if you think of any more.

I'll keep you all posted.❤

Respected Contributor

Reading this breaks my heart. I'm so sorry she is having problems and glad Teaspoon ate. The ultimate decision for a pet owner is a very personal one. I don't think I would be able to post here or anywhere about it. No one needs that pressure, I wish you both peace and love. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin Thank you for your most recent post. I appreciate all the information and of course you know best.

I mis-read your original post and have severely edited my response. 

Respected Contributor

Dear Dazlin,

So sorry to read your post.  I just lost my beloved boy cat, 15 years and 9 months, after a fierce half year battle against metastatic cancer.  He had three different kinds of chemotherapy, eight blood transfusions, three pills a day, and weekly oncologist visits.

He also started eating less and less, although I would tempt him with many, many delicious foods and treats (baby food, fresh meat, ten different kinds of cat food, etc.).  I also syringe fed him and gave him nutrition supplements.  He also had an appetite stimulant available and he took anti-nausea pills. I was (force)  feeding him small bites up to five times a day.

None of it was enough to counter the disease and stop his body from failing.

He began just licking his food, eating less, sleeping more, and drinking water.  His cancer disease was burning up the calories faster than his body could process them and use them.

Towards the end I knew that he was just surviving rather than thriving.  

Is it selfish to want to keep them with us as long as possible?  Perhaps, but it also our love that wants to do everything we can before we have to say good-bye forever.

One of my vets told me it was a losing battle, but I said that if I do not fight, than it is just a surrender.

Please know that you are doing all that is possible, but sometimes even that is not enough.  

At this point it does not matter what your pet eats--just that he eats something.  Maybe try canned cat food, as it is much more potent than dog food.

Take time to take lots of photos and give your love and attention to your little one during these final days.  The end will always come much too soon...

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Dazlin Thank you for your most recent post. I appreciate all the information and of course you know best.

I mis-read your original post and have severely edited my response. 

@Love my grandkids ,  no problem,  I know you and every means well.   I just wanted to make it clear, that just because a dog shows signs of aging doesn't always mean it's the end.  Both aging, decline, sometimes illness has to take its course  before we pull the trigger.  She has a little time for sure, I just don't know if it's months, or weeks...I have to stay the course with her.

No hard feelings at all...I know everyone means well, and true, some people are in denial or just cannot do it.  Happened to my parents,  17 yr old poodle...that became pitiful, and I had to do it for them.  They are very elderly and I couldn't allow them to go through it, but I waited for them to say ok.   Thank you all again 🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

We've had dogs and cats with kidney failure, and one thing that must be done is to treat the nausea--not just give them what they'll eat (when you're nauseated, you don't want to eat!)

May I suggest you request that your pet be allowed to take generic pepcid or prilosec (vet can give you doses).  This is often enough to break the cycle and continue as maintenance. We've had many pets who, once treated for nausea daily, ate fine and lived for several years comfortably. 

It's a fairly common problem with kidney disease and I'm surprised more vets don't treat for it.  Another possibility is a cerenia injection (more expensive) for the short-term.

You may also want to ask for a mild appetite stimulant (very low dose to start after the nausea's doing better).  Often these dogs and cats are nauseated from the disease, then they develop the nausea from not eating--a doubly whammy!

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper , my cat also had cancer, it was in his ear.  I also made several trips to the vet trying different meds, both internally and topical on and in his ear.  Also something for appetite.  It was all too late, and once he couldn't eat, and showed signs of breathing difficulties I had to let him go.  He was suffering.  I never think its selfish,  I always feel to try everything first.  If nothing helps...then it's over.  You really went above and beyond and I applaud you for that!

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 ,  great info!!  I forgot they did suggest appetite stimulant about 2 yrs ago when she went on heart meds, but I didn't need to use it then.  I'm going to call about the meds you mentioned.  I'm not sure if they'll go along at this stage, but it's worth asking.  You are 100 percent correct about the double whammy,  that's why I'll give something through out the day, and she stopped spitting up as long something is in her stomach. 

THANK YOU!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@Sammycat1 ,  great info!!  I forgot they did suggest appetite stimulant about 2 yrs ago when she went on heart meds, but I didn't need to use it then.  I'm going to call about the meds you mentioned.  I'm not sure if they'll go along at this stage, but it's worth asking.  You are 100 percent correct about the double whammy,  that's why I'll give something through out the day, and she stopped spitting up as long something is in her stomach. 

THANK YOU!!

@Dazlin 

You've solved your own puzzle by your very description!

Just be very certain to give a "smidge" of the appetite stimulant to start and only once the pepcid/prilosec is on board for a while and she's had a snack. Nothing is more miserable for a pet than to be kickstarted to eat when there's still major nausea at work. It's a sensitive balance and you'll find the sweet spot.

May I also add:  pepcid MUST be the ORIGINAL strength, 10 mg, not the maximum--the latter can cause serious problems. We started with pepcid because it was fast-acting, then over time, ended up with the prilosec.  Your vet will guide you.

Good luck for Teaspoon!

EDITED TO ADD:  I had a pet with heart disease and kidney failure at the same time. It's a tough road!  Medicine for one compromises the other. But you are providing her with a good quality of life and her body is sending signals that it needs some help on the kidney front.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee , Teaspoon had full blood work up done.  Everything came back normal except Creatine and BUN.  They gave me Azodyl for her kidneys to help remove toxins and reduce nausea and increase appetite.  Also Dr Harvey's.    The Azodyl did not help.  They didn't guarantee it, just something to try and hope.   I believe vets are considering her age (16) and comfort and not pump any more drugs into her.  I agree.   She was diagnosed with congested heart about 2 years ago.  She's on Lasix and Vetmedin.