Respected Contributor

Re: TEASPOON BARELY EATING ☹

@Sammycat1 wrote:

I think @Dazlin is perfectly capable, with her vet's guidance, to make appropriate decisions for Teaspoon's health. 

@Sammycat1 , thank you!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

I think @Dazlin is perfectly capable, with her vet's guidance, to make appropriate decisions for Teaspoon's health. 

@Sammycat1 

I agree, it is a decision only the one who loves them most can make.  

Just speaking for myself, my loved furries have always let me know when the joy is gone, so hard, so sad.

Wishing @Dazlin  and Teaspoon well.

@Drytheit is true. Sometimes a poster who has a pet that's in difficult waters is asking for assistance on a problem for which there's an easy solution. Sometimes that pet is sending a message that there's something specific that needs--and can be--easily treated for a pet to have a good quality of life.

There are some vets out there that say it's "game over" when the pet is having trouble eating without attempting much of anything. We're blessed with a vet who combines the best of traditional and holistic methods and, within reason, looks for a solution before making end-of-life recommendations. But he also shoots straight when it's time to shoot straight, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Sammycat1 

I agree, it is a decision only the one who loves them most can make.  

Just speaking for myself, my loved furries have always let me know when the joy is gone, so hard, so sad.

Wishing @Dazlin  and Teaspoon well.

@Drytheit is true. Sometimes a poster who has a pet that's in difficult waters is asking for assistance on a problem for which there's an easy solution. Sometimes that pet is sending a message that there's something specific that needs--and can be--easily treated for a pet to have a good quality of life.

There are some vets out there that say it's "game over" when the pet is having trouble eating without attempting much of anything. We're blessed with a vet who combines the best of traditional and holistic methods and, within reason, looks for a solution before making end-of-life recommendations. But he also shoots straight when it's time to shoot straight, too. 

@Sammycat1 

We are both blessed.  My vet and I have walked together > 25 years.  I trust him implicitly.

Never-the-Less, each time I have made the awful decision, I understand 

much later that I waited a bit too long.  I know my babies understand it was a delay prompted by love, and they forgive.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe  I have no doubt your furry ones have experienced nothing but love and wisdom in your decisionmaking. Heart

My vet has a saying, "it's better to be a day too early than a day too late."

Words to live by.

Now let's return to positivity for @Dazlin.   Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Dazlin 

I have a 16 year old Maltese too! Mine has the same kidney and heart issues. Every day is a gift and blessing. We have food issues too and here is what works for us - canned chicken, scrambled eggs, pasta noodles with no sodium chicken broth, boiled burger, instant mashed potatoes made with water but without butter and milk. Our vet said to give him what he wants just be aware of which human foods are dangerous to pets and what can cause pancreatitis. Mine is picky and has gone 3 days without eating. Many times I have to try multiple items. He typically eats a jar of Gerber chicken or turkey baby food every night. Mine also loves bread. Sometimes we spread a thin amount of peanut butter on the bread. He also loves cream cheese muffins from the grocery store bakery. We give him half a muffin. My guy was losing so much weight, our vet put him on Entyce, an appetite stimulant. It works well however it caused sundowners where he was up all night, panting and pacing. I guess this can happen in 5% of pets. Our vet switched him to a different appetite stimulator and we haven't had a problem. Also, not sure if your furbaby is experiencing any signs of Dementia? My guy was and it was heartbreaking seeing him so confused. We put him on Anipryl and it turned the clock back a good 5-8 years. Anipryl is used for humans with dementia. When my guy has more bad days than good, I will know it's time but until then, we are enjoying each and every day. By the way, mine is still loving his daily one mile walks. People can't believe he is 16. The Anipryl has made a huge difference. I will keep your little girl in my prayers and if I can help in anyway, please reach out. Heart

Valued Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Sammycat1 , thank you!!

Thank you for saying that @Sammycat1 . For those who said maybe Teaspoon is trying to tell her something, I say pooey! My 16 year old Maltese's eating issues started last October. According to some of the posts on this thread implying it's time, we would have lost out on alot of wet kisses over the last 6 months. Owners of sick or elderly pets all know we most likely will have to make that dreaded decision some day. Reminding @Dazlin isn't helpful. She asked for suggestions with eating. For those who might not be familar with senior dogs, low appetite is a common occurrence with elderly pets, especially with smaller breeds. There can be a medical reason but often, it's just part of aging. 

**Dazlin, I forgot to mention, our cardiologist recommends Fig Newtons as a treat for his CHF patients. He said they are a healthy snack and the ingredients are safe for dogs. My guy prefers regular Fig Newtons . We tried strawberry and blueberry Newtons but he spit them out. Teaspoon might like them. 

Respected Contributor

@Starliteshine , nice to hear this from you!   Sounds like your guy is doing better than my Teaspoon.   She does go outside frequently.  I'm on 5 areas, but I keep her around the house.  She walks around fine, sometimes a little wobbly I think from her meds.  Ive tried alot of the foods you mentioned,  but she's not too interested. I noticed a change this week.  She was always a big eater,  never finicky and actually was overweight at 13 lbs😳.  She's down to 7 lbs now.  Her last vet visit she was in stage 3 kidney failure.  It's said they may live up to 210 days with stage 3.  My vet always says, no matter what's going on, we go by the patient...is she letting you know when she wants something,  does she want to outside,  want her treats, come to you for attention,  not showing signs of pain, discomfort,  if yes, then we continue to monitor her and keep her comfortable.  So that's why I'm doing all I can. Comes, she won't eat, or get up for anything...then I know she had enough.   Today I bought Tomlyn paste , @carmie suggested,  and I also made her fresh salmon in brown sugar and unsalted butter and white rice in unsalted chicken broth.  She ate the Tomlyn on small piece of bread, and just now a little of salmon and rice. She came out into the living room with us and she's comfortable in her bed.  If her appetite doesn't improve this week,  im calling the vet.  Im also thinking she may be progressing into stage 4 and the end may be soon.  As for adding more meds, or stimulants, im all for it...However if her kidneys can't handle it, then it's more harm than good.   I want to say, I'm thankful she gave me 16 wonderful, fun years, and I accept what's inevitable.   I'll be sad any way, im sad now, but that's perfectly o.k.  Thank you so much, I value your experience!!

Valued Contributor

My guy is in a belly band but we still take him outside often. That is a big weight drop. Her kidneys might now be able to handle the additional medications. I don't think the appetite stimulator is harmful to the kidneys but check with your vet. It might be something you want to consider. I don't get on here often but I will make more of an effort to keep checking back for an update on Teaspoon. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Awe, it just makes me so sad @Dazlin (((HUGS)))

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

How is teaspoon today? Have you tried Pepcid or Prilosec? We gave a 1/4 tab of the Pepcid, 10mg, once then twice a day, under the vet's guidance. I can't remember the Prilosec dose. It stands to make a huge difference vs. you turning yourself inside and out cooking.