Honored Contributor

TEARS FOR SPIKE

[ Edited ]

Spike sink.jpeg

9-2005 Katrina Survivor                  27 March 2018

Dear Friends,

First of all, thank you to all of you who sent prayers and good wishes to Spike a few weeks ago.

Sadly, though he put up a hard fight, he was not able to overcome the sinus infection he had, and in the end He asked me to help him, and we did.  

We rescued him in the aftermath of Katrina.  He had been abandoned by his previous person, who left him to return to her home in Florida. Starving, covered in petro-chemicals, and shocky, he still snuggeled me and purred.

He was, from the start, my friend.  He became my Best Friend, my Secret Keeper and my Big Baby.   We truly loved each other, and had a relationship that I have never had with another cat.  DH who is a scientist, and not prone to flights of fancy, says the relationship Spike and I had was eerie, unlike any he has observed in hundreds of cats.

Each time I would enter the room, Spike would reach out with his paw, and lift his head so we could head-butt each other, then he would mark me by rubbing me with each of his cheeks.  This happened even if we had only been apart for a few minutes.

He saw me through many serious illnesses.  Staying at my side, examining everyone who entered, coming up and staring into my face until I woke up and spoke to him.  So many times I have awakened at night to find those big blue eyes watching me, just making sure I was OK. 

Spike would always come into whatever room I was in, look up at me, and speak.  Sometimes it was just ‘hello’ and we would hug and he would go about his daily rounds.  But he had a different meow for ‘help, I want you to do something’.  Sometimes he wanted to go out to sit on the screened porch, or he wanted more food, or the water in his bowl changed, and sometimes, his litter box was not up to his standards - someone else had used it!  Whatever it was he would watch me carefully until I had made repairs to his standards.

He fought through so many traumas, but about a month ago he got a bad sinus infection.  He had surgery, but it did not help. He could not smell, so he was not eating or drinking.  I was giving him fluids subque, and feeding him with a syringe.  Although he never, ever scratched or hurt me, he slapped me hard several times with his arm to let me know he did not like this AT ALL.  

Finally, one night he came and sat on my chest staring into my eyes for a very long time and I knew he was telling me goodbye.  A bit later he gave me his ‘help’ meow twice and I knew he was frail and exhausted and that this was not the life he wanted. DH and I helped him leave us and end his suffering.  I don’t need to tell you how hard it was.

He was his own person, affectionate, curious, intelligent, and intuitive, and he picked me!  I hope with all my heart that we will be together again.  I just can’t believe otherwise because it hurts too much.

It is very sad, and dark in our home.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Im so sorry, that is just sad.  Your poor baby is not suffering anymore, but your feeling of loss is great.  God bless you for rescuing him and God be with you during your grieving.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Oh @Drythe  You and Spike have been heavy on my mind the past week.  I fought the urge more than once to page you as part of me was afraid to ask.

Spike was indeed a handsome cat and the photograph you shared in this post shows me a cat that knows he is loved beyond compare.

The connection you and Spike had and continue to have (love never dies and I don't believe the connection is ever severed completely) was and remains special.

I wish I could ease your sorrow.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@Drythe

Your story made me cry. What a special bond you shared with your beloved Spike. Even though he's no longer with you in body, he still is in spirit, therefore, your bond is still there.

You are not alone in your pain. We've all been through this. Sadly there have been several posters who have recently lost their baby. Our tears flow for all of those who are enduring these very dark days.

Your heart hurts right now, but know that Spike no longer hurts. Take comfort in his memories and that love never dies.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe

I have thought of you & Spike since your first post about his health.  I have offered up prayers each & every night.  My heart breaks for you.  Having been in your place before, I know that there are no words that will ease your heartache.  Please accept a hug and a heartfelt wish for happy memories of him.  God bless.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Esteemed Contributor

What a beautiful experience you have been given.  You had this relationship with Spike because you saved him.  It is as simple and yet as complicated as that.  You had something so deep that few people ever get to have. 

Embrace the memories.  They are what you have now. 

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your post brought tears to my eyes because it raised up memories for me.  Having an animal look deep in your soul is a true gift. 

I hope and pray that we will be reunited with our pets.  It makes it bearable.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Drythe. What a beautifully written obituary!  Spike would be so proud and honored.  You're going to miss him so much, but you did the kindest thing you could for him.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What a beautiful story.  Spike sounds like a wonderfully special cat.  I'm so glad you rescued him and had him for so many years.  I'm so very sorry for your loss.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Bless you, Drythe......Bless you for rescuing one of Gods creatures in need.  It was very selfless of you to take him into your family and love him and take care of his health needs.  He knew what you did for him and let you know with his love and devotion.  That is why it hurts so bitterly when he needed to go.  We love them in only a way that others that have lost their fur babies could know.  We have each other to pray with and grieve with  at the saddest times.  You are not alone, I'll be thinking of you and grieving with you too.  Loving hugs,  from SC

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TEARS FOR SPIKE

[ Edited ]

@Drythe

Spike was your miracle cat and you were his miracle person. Bonds with such a special one come once in a lifetime--and you both knew that.

Your heart hurts deeply because it loved--and still loves--deeply. You showed great courage in all your interactions with Spike and he knew from the moment of his contact with you that he would be cherished forever.

And through your achingly beautiful words, it's clear that he will. I used to tell my once-in-a-lifetime cat-- also abandoned cruelly and left to die by his prior owner--that, no matter what, I would love him "always and always." I'm sure that Spike knew the same of you.

Prayers for peace and comfort to your broken heart in the coming days, weeks and month.  And remember, grief doesn't punch a clock....it eases on its own schedule and in its own way.

Godspeed, beloved Spike!