Respected Contributor

Re: Syracuse Zoo Twin Elephants

How precious and uplifting!!  I had heard stories of elephants that knew each other as youngsters, were separated for decades and reunited much later in life at a sanctuary and remembered each other easily!  There is an amazing elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee that has many retired circus elephants livin a well deserved easy life now. 💝 

I live in New England, so maybe a trip to Syracuse will be planned! Thanks for sharing this! 😊💝👏🏼

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper I have been thinking about the little ones and just wanted to check in. Any news or updates? They are just the cutest little things. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It 

Hi there!

No first-hand new news but they are doing well because they are out for viewing twice a day. Short viewing windows (1/2 hour at a time) but better than nothing.

I keep praying they don't ever get that elephant herpes virus that has claimed elephant lives.

Honored Contributor

Syracuse-Zoo-RGZ-FOTZ-2022-Annual-Appeal-Home-Block-BANNER__ScaleWidthWzIyODBd.jpg

Conservation In Action

When you look at the world through the eyes of children, you see the world as it should be – full of wonder and promise.

It puts a smile on my face to see their joy and excitement as they walk around the zoo with family and friends. You can’t help but want to make sure the world is a better place for them and for future generations.

That is why we are here and that is why zoos matter.

Our mission embraces the importance of connecting people to animals and the natural world and the protection of vulnerable species from extinction. We live this mission every day.

The zoo is also a place where magical things can happen. 

When Asian elephant Mali went into labor on October 24, the elephant care team was beyond prepared. After a 22-month gestation period, everyone was highly anticipating the delivery. What they didn’t anticipate, however, was that ten hours after Mali delivered her calf – she would deliver a second. No one knew Mali was pregnant with twins! 

Elephant twins make up only 1% of all elephant births. That both of Mali’s twins were alive was nothing short of a miracle. The animal care team and veterinary staff immediately sprang into action knowing the urgency of the situation. The second calf was weaker than the first and needed assistance to help him breath, stand and walk. They also gave him supplemental feedings and weeks of round-the-clock monitoring and care.

The zoo is one of only eight accredited zoos entrusted to breed Asian elephants and contribute to important scientific research. Immediately after the births, Mali’s placentas were transported out of state for research toward the treatment and development of a vaccine to combat Elephant Endotheliotropic Herpes Virus (EEHV), a lethal strain of herpes believed to naturally occur among elephants in a dormant form.

After weeks of hard work, Mali’s calves are now thriving and growing stronger each day. It was incredibly heart-warming to see the beaming faces of young and old when the twins made their public debut on November 10.

And we celebrated another victory this past summer when our red panda Simone had her first cub. Her name is Raji – Hindu for “Princess” – and she is truly “royalty” as her unique bloodline is extremely important for the genetic diversity of the species. With our ongoing dedication to the management programs of endangered species like Asian elephants, red pandas and more, we hope to make a positive impact on these populations worldwide.

Your support has never been more important. Your contributions, of any amount, will help us to continue the amazing miracles and conservation milestones that happen, right here, at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo. Together, we can strive for a better world by making connections and inspiring our children and future generations.

Thank you for your support and being part of our Friends of the Zoo family,

Carrie Large
Executive Director
Friends of the Rosamond Gifford Zoo

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper wrote:

@On It 

Hi there!

No first-hand new news but they are doing well because they are out for viewing twice a day. Short viewing windows but better than nothing.

I keep praying they don't ever get that elephant herpes virsus that has claimed elephant lives.

I am helping them through this way down here in West Texas. Thank you for the update.

Respected Contributor

@ChiliPepper Now that Spring is finally here, I am hoping the twins are flourishing. I wanted to make my way to Syracuse and the Westminster Dog Show. I just do not have the strength to make that ambitious a trip this year, but I wanted to know how the little ones are progressing.

Honored Contributor

Female giraffe born with a uniform brown color at Brights Zoo in Tennessee on 31 July.

A one-of-a-kind female giraffe, above, was born with a uniform brown color at Brights Zoo in Tennessee, on 31 July. Photograph: Courtesy Brights Zoo

Spotless giraffe, thought to be only one in world, born at Tennessee zoo

Brights zoo hopes publicity around unnamed female, who lacks distinctive patches, will draw attention to plight of giraffes in wild

One of the rarest sights in the animal kingdom has appeared in the unlikely setting of a Tennessee zoo, which has hosted the birth of what is thought to be the world’s only singularly colored giraffe.

The female giraffe, born on 31 July, is a uniform brown color, lacking the distinctive patched pattern that giraffes – along with their exceptionally long necks – are known for. Brights said the giraffe is already 6 ft tall and is under the care of her mother and zoo staff.

The zoo believes the giraffe is one of a kind, given that giraffes are very rarely born without their mottled appearance, which primarily serves as a form of camouflage in the wild.

The skin under the spots also has a system of blood vessel that allows giraffes to release heat through the center of each patch, providing a form of thermal regulation.

Each giraffe – apart from the Tennessee newcomer – has a unique pattern of patches, with researchers believing that these patterns are inherited from their mothers.

Brights zoo said it hoped the unusual birth would help highlight the challenges faced by giraffes in the world. The world’s tallest animal is threatened by the fragmentation of its habitat in Africa, as well as from illicit poaching.

“The international coverage of our patternless baby giraffe has created a much-needed spotlight on giraffe conservation,” the founder of Brights zoo, Tony Bright, said to the local television news station WCYB. “Wild populations are silently slipping into extinction, with 40% of the wild giraffe population lost in just the last three decades.”

The zoo has announced a contest for the public to name the new giraffe. The shortlisted options are Kipekee, which means “unique” in Swahili; Firayali, which means unusual; Shakiri, which means “she is most beautiful”; and Jamella, which is “one of great beauty”.

Honored Contributor

World's only spotless giraffe born at Tennessee zoo, public asked to help name her photo 1

Honored Contributor

World's only spotless giraffe born at Tennessee zoo, public asked to help name her photo 2

Honored Contributor

World's only spotless giraffe born at Tennessee zoo, public asked to help name her photo 3