Honored Contributor

Re: Switching Cat Litter

[ Edited ]

@ptagirl wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@ptagirl wrote:

I had to switch to Tidy Cat litter as my little girl has an allergy to certain litters.  She itches terribly like she's covered with fleas, rolls around, and sneezes/coughs... She cannot take certain perfumes and the really light, powdery-type litters...so we stick with Tidy Cat, which she tolerates well...

I think if I were you, I'd also try the new litter in a different litter box... just to see if your baby has an eversion or a reaction to it.. you never know, maybe it'll work out right away, but then there will be the old stand-by if it doesn't..

Good Luck!

@ptagirl  That would be terrible to have a cat that was allergic to cat litter.  I'm glad you found one that works for her!

Yes, it's been quite an experience.   She is doing much better now, but once in awhile she has a time with her allergies.  The vet gave her an antihistamine, which helps a lot... but we still have to be aware..

She's such a cute and lovey little torti cat, with such a cute personality,... We just love her, no matter what...  

@ptagirl  I love torties.  I think they're beautiful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have two cats:  one is eight years old, and the other is just about four months.

When the older cat showed up eight years ago, I started him on Tidy Cats 24/7 Performance because it was moderately priced and readily available.  Until now.  Now I can only find it in a 50 lb. bag, which is too heavy for me to lift at this point.  Instead I got a bucket of what I thought was the same thing. It wasn’t.  It was a smaller pellet clumping litter and my older cat wouldn’t get in any litter box that it was in.  So, I had to change to a similar litter to the original, but with a slightly more intense scent.  He’s fine with that.  Apparently what he didn’t like was the texture of the smaller litter and/or the clumping aspect of it.  Luckily the scent of this new type isn’t too strong for me to tolerate.

The kitten, however, doesn’t care at all which litter is in his boxes.  Either because of his laidback personality or just the fact that he’s still young and hasn’t gotten used to one type for years.  Which is great, because I’m switching his boxes to the clumping style because it’s much easier to clean up.

It depends on you cat.  Some don’t care about litter, others can be switched if done gradually, and still others won’t make the change at all.  Much like cat food, the last can be a real problem if what they like is discontinued.  But I’d try a gradual change if you want to see if Henry will tolerate it.

Esteemed Contributor

As others have said, switch over gradually.

I push the old stuff toward the edges all the way around and add the new litter in the middle.

But I add one freshly scooped cat poop and bury it right in the center under the new litter.

Every day clean the litterbox, add a little new litter and one poop to the center.

At some point when you think it's over 50% new litter you can dump it all, clean the box, and start over with only the new litter.

But bury one poop in the center on the first day just to be sure he accepts it as his litterbox.

Honored Contributor

ökocat litter is supposed to be good - it's all natural.  I have bought a few boxes for a relative, though I have no cats myself.  I believe it's more expensive but you can frequently find high-value coupons.

Super Contributor

We have used pelletized wood for years as do many rescues.  

Honored Contributor

Back when I still used clumping litter switching wasn't an issue. Now if I switching types, then I'd do it gradually. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval