Respected Contributor

We decided to adopt a 9 lb. chihuahua mix.  I don't see anything but chihuahua, but that's what the resuce tells us.  Doesn't matter, was just curious.

To say she's cute is a major understatement!  I am in Illinois, so it gets really cold here.  So she is very small and looks dainty.  She was brought to us in a sweater, and saw her dressed in sweaters in all her photos from the foster home.  Even just indoors, they seemed to have something on her.

Does anyone with a very small dog have any thoughts on the need for a covering inside of the house?  Her coat seems typical of a short haired dog.  The sweaters look really cute, but I wonder if we should inside the house.  I can certainly see covering her when going out.  Thanks.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Sweaters for a small dog?

@hyacinth003Hello & congrats on your new family addition!  Our rescue (in my pic) is Jack Russell & Dashound.  She is a rescue from Lexington.  We hadn't had a dog that needed sweaters before either but it seems little dogs get colder than others.

After buying several coats & sweaters for her I decided to knit them for her.  She does not wear them unless the temps go below 60.  Then she wears one all day and is very content.  We take them off her at night and cover her with a baby blanket, she's not spoiled!

I hope this helps you,

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked into dog heating pads?  Much lower heat than our kind, can be curled up on.

Esteemed Contributor

No I would not put 'clothes' on an animal inside the house.  Are you familiar with her Foster care home?  I know people who, to save $$$ in the winter, set their inside heat temp down to almost freezing range. (or have constant cold floors = old houses)

...........cut her loose and let dog be  dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Young active dogs seldom need anything inside.  As they get older they may have a harder time regulating body temp so sweaters inside may be appreciated. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would keep my eye on the dog.  If he is shivering, appears to be cold...lays all curled up in a ball trying to keep warm, put a sweater on him.

If he appears to be comfortable, no sweater needed.

Every dog is different and every home is too.  Some homes are drafty even with the heat turned up.  Go with your intuition.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

No I would not put 'clothes' on an animal inside the house.  Are you familiar with her Foster care home?  I know people who, to save $$$ in the winter, set their inside heat temp down to almost freezing range. (or have constant cold floors = old houses)

...........cut her loose and let dog be  dog.

Tiny dogs & certain breeds need covering

Not all dogs are the same.

If I had a chihuahua that seemed cold inside, I would accomodate the dog

But a large dog like a lab has a heavy coat naturally.

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 I don't have a dog, so have no idea about the sweaters.  Just wanted to say I'm glad you and your DH added a new little friend to your home!  Enjoy him.  🌷

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

533446B8-F81E-4AFA-9D3B-8F856D12B5C2.jpegChihuahuas love to burrow under blankets no matter the temps. Our chihuahua, Jimmy,  was a short-hair chi and he was always under a blanket inside the house. We live in WV and in the winter I did put some type of coat on him to be outside(he hated the process of putting on a sweater due to arthritis so coats with Velcro sufficed ). They aren't bred to withstand cold temps but unless she shows signs of being cold inside, she shouldn't need a sweater, I wouldn't think. Blankets should be fine. He passed in March and we now have a shiba/chihuahua mix and he has the shiba double-coat and seems more shiba than chihuahua so I don't put anything on him outside and he is perfectly fine. That is Jimmy in the photo. He lives in the sunshine very day now Heart

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 

I support @Carmie 's and @CrazyDaisy 's comments.

Wearing something depends on the dog and on your house temperature.  Of course, if it's very cold outside, some dogs appreciate something to wear.  

I have a chihuahua who, when I adopted her, was about 4 1/2 pounds.  She shivered a lot so I got her a whole wardrobe of t-shirts and sweaters.  Now that she's filled out to about 5 pounds, she hardly ever shivers, even outside on slightly cold days.  

Here she is(the little lump in the bed) after one of our very first walks soon after her adoption and before she owned any sweaters.  She immediately snuggled up in the covers after coming inside! It took me a while to find her.

DSCN0296.JPG

And here she is in the poncho she now often wears for our walks on colder days:DSCN0517 (2).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.