Respected Contributor

Re: Sweaters for a small dog?

I would love to see a picture of your new dog. I am glad you got her.

I have a miniature dachshund and a dachshund jack Russell cross. They have a wardrobe of clothes.

I use them for cold when they go outside. I think you need to watch your dog. Most houses are not that cold. It is normal for them to want to burrow under a blanket.

You have to be careful for them getting too hot. It tends to dry out their coat if worn too much . Dogs need air to get to their coat for it to be healthy.

doxie
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 

One more thing I discovered.  My little one wore a t-shirt a lot indoors during the first winter after I adopted her.

If your dog does need to wear something inside, be sure to change it often.  I learned that the hair collects inside the shirt even if you think they are not shedding. All that loose hair makes them uncomfortable. Luckily, I learned that fairly soon.  This was my first dog ever who used to get cold so easily.  None of the others ever had anything but outdoor wear.

Of course, this isn't an issue if a dog wears something only while outdoors.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 

I want to add to never leave your dog alone with clothes on the dog. They can get tangled up in them and not be able to get out. My vet alerted me about this.

When my dogs have stayed with the vet they are so rotten that they bark for warm blankets. The vet  puts blankets in the dryer to get them warm and voila my dogs are happy and quiet. It is funny.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@hyacinth003 

I want to add to never leave your dog alone with clothes on the dog. They can get tangled up in them and not be able to get out. My vet alerted me about this.

When my dogs have stayed with the vet they are so rotten that they bark for warm blankets. The vet  puts blankets in the dryer to get them warm and voila my dogs are happy and quiet. It is funny.

doxie

@hyacinth003 This is so true.  This happened to my dog one time. She got her arm stuck so badly in the sweater that I had to cut it off of her.  I felt terrible about it.  I don't put sweaters on her anymore.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

My poodles very much enjoy tee shirts and sweaters.  Joey gets very cold in the winter months,  in his advanced years he appreciates warm blankets and tops.  His brother Jake  also loved to be warm before he went to Heaven.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@hyacinth003 

doxie

@hyacinth003 This is so true.  This happened to my dog one time. She got her arm stuck so badly in the sweater that I had to cut it off of her.  I felt terrible about it.  I don't put sweaters on her anymore.

I buy coats at K9 topcoat.  They make dog coats for indoors and out.  They fit close to the body and do not tangle around your pets. The leg lengths can be customized to make them any length you desire or remove them completely. They are recommended and prescribed by Vets for use after surgery to keep dogs from licking, to keep dogs clean and to protect in bad weather.

They aren't cheap, but their products are wonderful.  The co-owner of the company called me personally one time because I had a problem with a coat not being water proof.  She immediately sent me a brand new one, before I returned the defective one.  Their CS is awesome.

They have coats for warmth, anxiety, shedding and allergy relief.  I highly recommend their products.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach   &. Kiku,

I was so in hopes that you would see this, as I knew y’all would know all about it.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to walk my dogs 24/7 all year and my older girl needed a sweater and thank goodness because we were attacked once out walking and I had 2 heavy sweaters on her and the bite didn't go thru. I pulled the dog off of her and she bite me too. Not too bad but this dog had jumped the fence and took off after us. 

I would put a light weight fleece one on in the house and we had much thicker ones for walking outside. She was 18 so she needed something.

After she passed I donated all of her sweaters to the animal shelter and they were pleased to get them.