Highlighted
Super Contributor

Summer cut for a long-haired dachshund?

I have a 2 year old long-haired dachshund.  I am bringing him for his first grooming tomorrow.  I have been combing and brushing him myself.  He has an abundance of long fur! We are having a bad tick season and my husband and the groomer are pushing for a short summer cut.  I am not so sure.  Are there other long-haired doxie owners that have done this?  Will his hair grow back and look the same (eventually)?

Interested in other's experiences.  Thank you in advance!

Signed

nervous fur-mom

PS Just so you know I was always reluctant to get my son's hair cut for the first time 

Spoiler

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Summer cut for a long-haired dachshund?

I put in spoiler by mistake- hey I do not post much!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone that does that to their dachshund and I've known many of them. My GSD has a very thick undercoat which I think protects her from ticks being able to easily get to her skin. On the other hand my long haired chi has gotten a tick before. The most important thing to reduce ticks is to keep fallen brush out of your yard. Once my husband pulled all the brush out that had piled up it solved our problem. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always had long-haired dogs; Collies, Shelties, Aussies, mutts, but I wouldn't think of having their beautiful coats cut off.  I have good AC and they spend most of the day in the house when it's super hot.   I've read it can affect their metabolism. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have two long haired dogs who go thro AZ Summers fine.  My vets always told me never give them 'summer cuts' all it does is expose their skin to the sun dogs are built with their own internal systems to cope with weather.   Lots of the time it is the groomers pushing this.   I have had dogs for many years and always gone by this advice - it works for me and my dogs.   Enjoy your doggie.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of cutting a long haired dachshund.  I would never do that.

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet. —Edith Wharton
Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.--Colette

Highlighted
Contributor

I have a 2 year old long hair female dachshund also.  Her name is The Duchess. She gets a hair cut and "spa treatment" every three months.  The hair is only trimmed, not cut drastically short.  She looks neater, not so "shaggy" when she has her trim.  

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

My 2 cents. 

I am a dog groomer and have been owned by smooth, wire and longhaired Dachshunds. 

Please keep combing.  The well groomed coat is used as insulation from heat and cold.  Ticks would still stick in a shortened coat.  They love the ear openings also.

Your hands on care will be more apt to find the little offenders.

Dogs don't care much for clippers.

The groomer makes more from  a clip and wants you to come back every 8 weeks.

Just good business sense.

Totally up to you.  Love me a good weiner dog.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It will grow back if you cut it. Just don't shave the dog.

When we had 2 cocker spaniels we gave them a cocker cut. No way could we take care of them with all that hair. DH groomed them using a Flowbee. He started grooming them after they brought home seed ticks from the groomers.

Image result for cocker cutImage result for cocker cut

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Here's a before & after pic of a dachshund.

ztCIDYN.jpg