Respected Contributor

Suggestions please - re scratching

Hi all.

My terrier is having surgery this morning to remove a wart under her front leg.  She's an older gal, 12, and that wart had gotten to where it was bothering her a lot.

My worry is about post surgery scratching.  I know for post surgery licking the "cone of shame" can solve the problem.  She couldn't get to this to lick, but she most definitely could scratch at it with her back leg, and has been for a while which really prompted the surgery.

I thought about maybe getting her a t-shirt to maybe protect it, but not sure if that would be wise.  I will obviously ask my Vet about it when I pick up my baby, but at that point if something needs to be purchased I'm in a pickle, so I'm asking here so I would have time to get to the store before I pick her up.

Regular Contributor

Re: Suggestions please - re scratching

The last time my dog had a small growth removed I had her wear a doggy shirt over the stitches. It worked great! She never bothered the stitches and didn't need to wear the platic cone she had used several times before. Whenever she starts to bothering a new growth, I slip back on one of her shirts or sweeters and she leaves the growths alone.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @roxiegirl.  I'm gonna shower and head off to PetSmart!

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of those cones. They canr ub on their necks and freak them out. I also think that they are dangerous if you have steps.  I went that route for two of my Shepherds and it was awful. 

I like your idea about the tshirt. I think that's a great idea. When my one shelpherd had a paw booboo I made a bootie from a microfiber mit (it was tiny) and secured it with a pipe cleaner. That worked well.  You might be able to find something in the infants section that would be a bit closer fit than what I used.

I've also used the guaze bandage/and/or wrap on the legs.  That works but if you have a chewer you'll need to keep a close eye on them.

Trusted Contributor

If you ever need a cone it is good to have one of these on-hand to use instead – they are much easier on the dog and still helps keep them from having their head/mouth reach the restricted area.

http://www.wagtailfarms.com/info.html

http://www.puppybumpers.net/

Amazon may carry them, too

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The conversation is veering off to be about cones, but I hope your pup comes through the surgery and recovery ok and you don't have a scratching problem. (Honestly, doesn't it just seem the things we worry about never happen, and the things we forget to worry about......well you know!)

Those inner tube style "cones" work in some circumstances, but not all.  If you have a small dog or a cat, Kong makes a really nice, soft cone.  My dog never minded wearing it, accepted it like his collar.  They are blue, kind of a papery fabric.

http://smile.amazon.com/KONG-Soft-E-Collar-Cats-Small/dp/B004GEAQ46/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=145255463...

Respected Contributor

My baby girl came through the surgery with flying colors.  She was a bit groggy when I picked her up, but of course her tail started wagging the moment she saw me.

My Vet agreed that a tee-shirt weight shirt would be a good idea.  I had picked up a medium size over the weekend, but it didn't fit.  Took it back today and picked up a different brand in a large.  Pulled it out of my purse at the Vet's office and it too was too small.  How crazy is that!?!  She's only about 30 pounds.  I can't even imagine if she needs and XL what size would my lab/great dane wear???  Anyway, I asked my 9 year old grandson if he had any old t-shirts that were too tight, or torn or stained.  He dug down in his drawers and found the perfect one.  I had to do a couple of quick alterations at the neck and hem and voila....perfect doggy t.

Since she was going to be under for the wart removal, we went ahead and had a growth on the top of her head removed as well.  With her little shaved spot allowing the veins to show and her cross stich...she looks like my little "franken-doggie" at the moment.  Such a sweetie.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so happy that your dog came thru the surgery and is doing well!