Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions For Dry Hair ~ (For Dog)

@Mistic  I see you did not mention the dog has any type of skin condition or health problem so I would suggest the WEN Replenishing Mist too. My cat gets the best of food made, but he's a long hair, it's fine and tangles easily. I have been using the mist for years and it does help untangle and moisturize his skin and coat. It certainly won't hurt the dog.

Respected Contributor

Hi Mistic,

My beautiful and most glorious Keesh (Hobbes) took Omega 3 (not 6, as it's a bit too difficult on the liver) everday - a liqui-capsule of 500 IUs daily (from Andrrew Lessman as I take all his stuff and don't trust any other brand) and his fur and skin was luxurious.

We simply put a pinhole in the capsule and let the golden goodness of the capsule drizzle over his food. 

He loved it and it seemed to keep him in tip top shape.

He tolerated being brushed, - his teeth were brushed on the daily as well.

He was a gorgeous dog, I loved that boy with all my heart. Keesh's have such pretty faces.

He lived a spoiled/healthy life - to the ripe old age of 14, but of course, no matter how old our beloved pets live to be, we are never ready to part with them.

Respected Contributor

Again, thanks for all of the tips.  I am reading about all of the different suggestions.  Yes, I can google this stuff, but I feel so much better asking all of you Animal Lovers.  I trust all of you here that have dealt with my issue more than just  googling it!  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

I find it RUDE ,when people say just google it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I use Wen treatment mist for my GSD's. I started when we had a long hair plush coat GSD. Her hair was like an Afgan coat. I spritz the brush a couple of times and run the brush through the coat. Depending on the fur and thickness your'll need to refresh the spritz on the brush. I still use this method on the two GSD's that we have now. One is the tradtional fur and the other is a long coat.

Yes, I have checked with my Vet and she approves. I like to take a more organic or natural approach to their cleaning products as well as their food. It works for our home and dogs. I hope you hae the same good results with your furbaby.

Respected Contributor

Having previously responded to OP’s request for suggestions for Keeshond’s coat I just have to comment on this pup.  Looked up this breed and am amazed at their beauty - extraordinary!  Never met one but would like to. Makes since for your concerns and I’m sure you’ll work it out.

So glad to have this outlet and you fine folks to share with and learn from.

Honored Contributor

@Mistic , I wanted to add something i have used before ,it is for humans ,a leave in spray by alba botanicals.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Fish oil

Flaxseed oil

coconut oil

WEN for pets

NEVER use a supplement for humans for a dog.  Many contain vit D and Vit E that can be toxic to animals in the wrong dose.  Per our holistic vet.

I will say after our girl was prescribed an Rx for Vit D after her lab showed she was deficient her coat is now like a puppy's it is so soft and shiny!

Respected Contributor

Again, I thank all of you for the great ideas on how to deal with this issue.  Legend is our 4th Kee's.  All the others preceding him did have some "cottony" hair, but none this bad.  Well, I should not say bad, but way different.  He is just a year old, shedding in winter instead of spring, like all the others did...weird for me.  Thank goodness he loves being brushed!

He has a vet apt. next week, and I plan on making a list of your suggestions, and ask what she thinks are the best ones to try 1st.   Knowing what has worked well for others here does help!

He is his own little guy, with his own little quirks, and I don't expect him to be just like the others...  This is just new to me.   THANKS!!!  

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey