Honored Contributor

My son found an abandoned dog (appears to be a boxer/pit mix) back in October, and brought her home. Can't believe what a wonderful animal she was, right from the beginning. Very thin, but so well behaved and lovable. 

One of the things we noticed right off was that she did not shed. Virtually no hair coming  out of this dog. WONDERFUL

She was spayed at the beginning of January, and at about that same time, the shedding began. It is simply horrible. I have had two dogs and three cats living in my house at one time (several years ago, not that many pets now) and never had a hair issue like this before. 

Anyone ever have this surgery cause shedding? I asked the vet's office about it and they couldn't come up with anything.

My son did change her food. Started on Science Diet, and sometime after he picked up some grocery store brand the shedding started. We have moved her back to Science Diet and hope that will fix whatever this is. But honestly she came to us half starved, and still was not shedding like this. 

Any input anyone can share would be appreciated.

Oh, and I should add that she has had all her shots and a thorough work up when first found, and been to the vet after surgery as well, for removal of stitches. So we have asked them, and she appears to be healthy otherwise, but might we and the vet be missing something based on anyone else's experiences.

Valued Contributor

I had picked up a stray once and she was the sweetest dog.  I gave her a high quality dog food and had her groomed regularly (every 3 months or so) used a really good shampoo and her hair came back in thick.  I also added a little oil to her food.  In this case I would suggest coconut oil, just a teaspoon or so for a small dog.  She made have been nervous since this surgery but hopefully will calm down.  That's all I can think of.  Hope it helps.

Honored Contributor

I did a quick Google search, and it sounds like the change in diet could have been the cause.  http://pets.thenest.com/can-change-dogs-diet-make-dog-shed-more-11877.html  The article lists a couple of other things to try, too.

Maybe since changing her diet back the constant shedding will go back to the way it used to be.  I hope so!  It's wonderful that your son took this dog in.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I know humans can lose hair after surgery so I guess it could be possible with animals, but the food switching could have something to do with it too.  Now that the dog is on the road to better health, hopefully this will get rectified in the process as well.

Valued Contributor

Just thought of something else.  Maybe she was allergic to the anesthesia they used or maybe she is allergic to something in the dog food.  I have heard of allergies to corn and wheat.  You may have to try lots of different high quality foods but they are out there.  Grain free might be a good choice.  I would carefully try other foods but remember if you switch all at once you could get a diarrhea problem.  It may take time but when you find the right food you will know.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I know humans can lose hair after surgery so I guess it could be possible with animals, but the food switching could have something to do with it too.  Now that the dog is on the road to better health, hopefully this will get rectified in the process as well.

This is true and happened to me. Humans can shed hair after surgery or other traumatic experience. In humans, it is called telogen effluvium.  I lost a tremendous amount of hair, which eventually grew back. Also, the anesthesia itself may have caused the shedding or just the entire traumatic experience of being brought into a strange home, then the surgery, etc. 

In case it's a food allergy, I would definitely make sure his diet is grain free, which seems to be a cause for allergy in both cats and dogs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sudden onset shedding

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio Dogs can shed at any time,  typically twice a year with the heaviest being in the fall.   I've had has many as five long-haired dogs at a time and they never all shed at the same time.   The only malady with which I'm familiar that causes excess shedding is hypothyroidism and it's typically common in older dogs.  I'd suggest brushing your dog daily until the shedding ends. 

I also must say a word about dog food.   There are websites that rate the quality of dog foods,  which you can quickly Google.   Science Diet is not highly rated; there are many in the same price range which are far more nutritious.   None of my dog friends (friends who own dogs) will feed it to their pets. 

Realistically,  a change in diet,  unless drastic or containing something to which the dog is allergic,  is unlikely to cause hair loss. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio Dogs can shed at any time,  typically twice a year with the heaviest being in the fall.   I've had has many as five long-haired dogs at a time and they never all shed at the same time.   The only malady with which I'm familiar that causes excess shedding is hypothyroidism and it's typically common in older dogs.  I'd suggest brushing your dog daily until the shedding ends. 

I also must say a word about dog food.   There are websites that rate the quality of dog foods,  which you can quickly Google.   Science Diet is not highly rated; there are many in the same price range which are far more nutritious.   None of my dog friends (friends who own dogs) will feed it to their pets. 

Realistically,  a change in diet,  unless drastic or containing something to which the dog is allergic,  is unlikely to cause hair loss. 

Thanks for that info about the food. We have two different vets we use, the best this area has to offer, and both have recommended Science Diet. 

This whole dog nutrition thing is so very confusing. There are such confusing information and 'facts' on what is and isn't healthy, which foods are best and which aren't. Honestly, it all gives me a headache!! LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Sudden onset shedding

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio There is some financial connection between many vets and Science Diet.   Obviously,  many sell it so they reap a profit.   I've read the reviews and I quit buying it many years ago. 

Try dogfoodadvisor.Com

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Thanks for that info about the food. We have two different vets we use, the best this area has to offer, and both have recommended Science Diet. 

This whole dog nutrition thing is so very confusing. There are such confusing information and 'facts' on what is and isn't healthy, which foods are best and which aren't. Honestly, it all gives me a headache!! LOL

@Mominohio:

Just think about what an animal's natural needs are, i.e.: dogs and cats are carnivores so lean meat/fish protein is important.

But so are some whole grains, veggies, fruits, and healthy fats to balance everything out.

Just like with us hoomans, doing research and reading labels really helps.

Bless the newest baby and her dad.  8)