Honored Contributor

Stray Dog Saves Injured Cyclist!

A stray dog kept an injured cyclist alive by keeping him warm with its body after he crashed in remote mountains.

Martin Ion fell during his ride and suffered a dislocated hip and a broken collarbone as he rode alone through the Semenic Mountains in western Romania.

He couldn't get up and started to get hypothermia as he lay on the cold ground overnight while paramedics rushed to his aid.

The dog, who was running next to his bike earlier, lay down next to him and kept his body warm long enough for him to be rescued alive.

'When we arrived, the dog didn't leave his side and remained there until the ambulance arrived,' paramedics said.

Mr Ion was rushed to the orthopedics section of the Timisoara County Emergency Hospital to repair his broken and dislocated bones.

He said the Bernese mixed breed dog ran besides his bike along the misty road for several hours and stopped as soon as he fell off.

'I missed a hole on the trail, didn't see it and it threw me right off and I couldn't move. That's when he also stopped moving and sat beside me,' he said. 

The dog was later adopted by Ionut Mihai Popovici, a public official from the Caras Severin County Council, and named Max.

A stray dog kept an injured cyclist alive by keeping him warm with its body after he crashed in remote mountains

The dog, who was running next to his bike earlier, lay down next to him and kept his body warm long enough for him to be rescued alive

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Stray Dog Saves Injured Cyclist!

@KingstonsMom   Max is a beautiful dog!  I am so glad he was adopted!  Dogs truly are mans best friend.  Love you Max!  

Honored Contributor

Another heartwarming animal story. Thanks for posting! Awesome. @KingstonsMom

Honored Contributor

What a beautiful soulful looking creature of God's. Truly...man's best friend.  Thanks for this story.  Hope whoever adopted him knows what a champ he has.

Respected Contributor

WOW....this is just plain amazing...I love stories like this that encourage you...Thanks for Sharing!!!!

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this.  I am of Romaian heritage so it makes me feel even more thankful for the dog.  He is a beautiful dog and such heroism. 

Respected Contributor

That is a heart warming story and I am glad that the dog found a home as well. He is a good looking dog but not as handsome as Kingston!

doxie

Kingston has electric eyes that pierce to your soul!

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

That is a heart warming story and I am glad that the dog found a home as well. He is a good looking dog but not as handsome as Kingston!

doxie

Kingston has electric eyes that pierce to your soul!

@doxie1

He really does!Heart

And he's such a trusting, loyal dog, in spite of his prior abuse before we rescued him.

He was picked up by animal control, on the streets, with extensive burns down his back ( from highly caustic chemicals or actually set on fire), he still has scars on his back.

One of our rescue groups pulled him from animal control for us, since they were going to euthanize him due to the expense of treating his burns.

And he's such a goofball with his stuffed toys, he always takes one to his bed when he settles in for the night, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.