Honored Contributor

Re: Stray Cat & kittens alongside Patio

@tsavorite wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I would call an animal shelter and ask for help.  Tell them just what you told us.  Maybe they know someone who could come and pick them up.  It would be awful to scare the mother off away from her babies and then let them die.

have no intention of that....

@tsavorite  I have no idea why you felt the need to give me a snarky reply.  I was trying to be helpful.  Ideally you would have cancelled the workers and rescheduled them after you found the kittens, but you didn't do that.  Now there aren't many alternatives, and calling the shelter sounded like the best chance of keeping mother and kittens together and kittens alive.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I would call an animal shelter and ask for help.  Tell them just what you told us.  Maybe they know someone who could come and pick them up.  It would be awful to scare the mother off away from her babies and then let them die.

@tsavorite  I have no idea why you felt the need to give me a snarky reply.  I was trying to be helpful.  Ideally you would have cancelled the workers and rescheduled them after you found the kittens, but you didn't do that.  Now there aren't many alternatives, and calling the shelter sounded like the best chance of keeping mother and kittens together and kittens alive.

@NickNack

I'm not trying to speak for @tsavorite, but I think she was referring to the last line of her post when she said, "I have no intention of doing that", meaning "scaring the Mother away from her babies  and then let them die."

That's how I understood her post, anyway.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack

I'm not trying to speak for @tsavorite, but I think she was referring to the last line of her post when she said, "I have no intention of doing that", meaning "scaring the Mother away from her babies  and then let them die."

@KingstonsMom  That's what I was trying to prevent when I said it would be awful to scare the mother away and then let them die..  I thought the shelter might have experience and know what to do.  1:00 today isn't giving anyone very much time at all to get anything done though.  I hope they will be all right, but it seems doubtful at this point.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

I totally understand the point you were trying to make and I agree with you, but at the same time, not all shelters are 'no-kill' shelters, especially when it comes to feral cats.

My DD cares for a feral colony and has so far domesticated 8 of them that live indoors now.

She feeds, medicates and traps the more docile ones to be spayed/neutered, then return them to the colony.

Her vet bill is rarely under $1,000.

She had a feral litter left motherless when the mother was hit by a car and reached out to the shelter (looking for a lactating mother cat) and was told that all ferals are immediately "put down" (I hate that term, they KILL them), since they don't consider them adoptable.

She ended up bottle feeding them every 3-4 hours instead and they are part of her indoor colony now, LOL!

I'm devastated that our shelter is not a no kill shelter, but we have great rescue groups here that pull animals from the 'kill' shelter.

Maybe the OP could check with cat rescue groups in her area, if her shelter is a 'kill' shelter.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  I'm so sorry your shelter would immediately put down feral kittens.  We have a no-kill shelter and a kill shelter.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack

Exactly....

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack

Exactly....

@tsavorite  What do you think is going to happen by doing nothing?  Have you got a plan in mind to get the mother and kittens somewhere safely together by 1:00?  I do hope so, and again, I was only trying to be helpful.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@tsavorite meet those workers in your driveway as soon as they show up. Explain your very delicate situation. If any of them have any shred of decency in their bones or compassion in their hearts, they will not go near those babies. If these kittens are less than 4 weeks old, they should not be moved at all. 

I know this is a sticky situation, but things can be rescheduled to save lives.

Also, look up cat rescue places in your area, not just an animal shelter. I have 3 in my area that have people that take in homeless mama's and know what to do.

Honored Contributor

I'd have already called and cancelled them coming, baby kittens come first at my house and it's summer anyway. I'd have the workers out in another 6 weeks or so once the kittens are bigger and able to be moved. And most normal shelters will just put them all to sleep as they won't dedicate the time to tame the kittens and deal with the feral mom. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

I'd have already called and cancelled them coming, baby kittens come first at my house and it's summer anyway. I'd have the workers out in another 6 weeks or so once the kittens are bigger and able to be moved. And most normal shelters will just put them all to sleep as they won't dedicate the time to tame the kittens and deal with the feral mom. 

Is there a Best Friends organization in your area?  They have programs for this exact situation.   They put the kittens in a nursery and volunteers take care of them 24/7.  The mother is spayed and returned to her neighborhood.  The kittens need to be socialized by 4 weeks, otherwise you will have 6 wild cats. 

It's a bummer being put in this situation, but it could be a blessing for the cats if you take charge.