Respected Contributor

Stray Cat & kittens alongside Patio

Hello I have a situation here at my home.  A Mother cat with 5 baby kittens are nesting right next to patio area sorta under a small area of my home.  The problem is I have a crew of workers coming out in a few hours that will be digging right where they are at.  I have a scheduled job for water/drainage situation in my backyard.  The downspouts are being redone plus a french drain put in.  

I am not a cat owner....so have zero experience with this.  I know at least I think I do that you want to leave the babies with the Mother.  That's about it.  However they can't be there and the Mother is not a friendly animal (stray).  

Any advice?  I have until 1pm and then this crew will be here.  

Thank you

Frequent Contributor

Re: Stray Cat & kittens alongside Patio

If the mother gets spooked, she may not come back and the kittens will not make it. Would you be able to get a box, that has lower sides, maybe a blanket and put the kittens in it and put them somewhere else, but close enough that the mother will find them? I hope you are able to help them, please try. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

The mama cat needs to be with her babies right now.  Do you have an animal shelter with a no kill policy in your area?  Maybe give them a call and see if they can help or al least offer some advice. 

Respected Contributor

Usually new mothers are very protective of her babies.  Could you put the babies in a box in another area of your yard and coax the mother to go with them?  Best of luck.

Frequent Contributor

I forgot to mention, if you are able to move the babies, try to find a spot that is safe and will be protected from rain.

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Usually new mothers are very protective of her babies.  Could you put the babies in a box in another area of your yard and coax the mother to go with them?  Best of luck.

Personally this is what I would do.  I also feed the mama.  That's how we won over one of our two stray cats who are now our forever fur babies. 

Honored Contributor

I would call an animal shelter and ask for help.  Tell them just what you told us.  Maybe they know someone who could come and pick them up.  It would be awful to scare the mother off away from her babies and then let them die.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Cancel your workers and have them come out in a month or so. There is no way this situation will turn out good the way it looks now. I wish I never read this because I really feel those kittens (and mom) are at extreme risk. Woman Sad

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I would call an animal shelter and ask for help.  Tell them just what you told us.  Maybe they know someone who could come and pick them up.  It would be awful to scare the mother off away from her babies and then let them die.

have no intention of that....

Respected Contributor

As the care taker of a group of feral cats that were born in my back yard I will give you advice from my experience.

Call the shelter and have them pick up the cat and kittens.  The mother will be fed and won't have to forage for food for herself while she nurses those kittens.  The kittens will be socialized so they will be able to be adtoped.  Otherwise they will all be wild.  They all need to be neutered so you don't have kittens having kittens.  Been there done that.  I started out feeding one stray mother.  Eventually I trapped and neutered 13 cats.  I still have 8 that depend on me for food.

It's the humane thing to do.  That mother cat needs help.