Respected Contributor

My friend's dog is sick and won't eat the foods her Vet recommended.

The dog appeared to have lost his sense of smell so I told her to try melted cheese and it worked!  He could smell it and lapped it up.  Also chicken but it has to be freshly cooked, so he can smell the juices.

Anyone have any other ideas?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Stinky foods for a sick dog

@RinaRina When my dog was sick and would not eat, the vet has us brown lean hamburger meat and serve it with rice. It should have enough aroma that your friend's dog can smell it. If we needed an extra bribe we added a side of 2% cottage cheese.

Valued Contributor

My doctor recommended rice and broth, it worked

Honored Contributor

My dogs have always loved canned chicken breast. I get the salt-free version.

Super Contributor

My dog seems to have gastrointestinal problems alot! When he does I make him beef and rice, then put a dollop of greek yogurt in the mix for probiotic. It seems to help; is very digestable and he eats it. 

Esteemed Contributor

According to Dr. Karen Becker, rice ferments in the dogs gut.  She doesn't recommend it.  Dogs don't need grains.  The cottage cheese or yogurt would be good.  A dollop of pumpkin (not the pie type) is excellent.  My guy gets all 3 of these everyday.  

I hope the dog feels better.  There are remedies for bringing back taste and smell.  Too bad most people aren't interested in anything natural. Woman Sad

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

You do not want stinky foods,you want   good smelling foods ,chicken and rice ,with no salt bone broth ,hamburger and rice,with no salt beef broth,you can use other grains instead of rice,or a little pasta to bind it together.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina   Try canned tripe. I by it from Chewy dot com by the case, but your local pet store probably has it also in several brands you can buy just by the can.... here is the one I buy. Dogs LOVE IT!

E90627BC-A72B-4CFC-8547-A252591F4E6A.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

I hope the dog feels better.  There are remedies for bringing back taste and smell.  Too bad most people aren't interested in anything natural. Woman Sad

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remedies like what?  I'd be happy to pass along the info.

He's a "senior" dog -- so sadly, you know how that goes.

Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

According to Dr. Karen Becker, rice ferments in the dogs gut.  She doesn't recommend it.  Dogs don't need grains. 

=============================================

THAT is interesting!  She'd been feeding him chicken and rice per her Vet, so, she knew he could smell the chicken.

I've given it to my dog to -- for diarrhea.  I didn't know about the "fermentation".

Good to know!

Thanks