Honored Contributor

It will be a year come sept. 1st, spirit died, i simply can not find a golden pup, it is just so very hard finding one,  we are lonely here, cambridge and i.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry you haven't found a golden @goldensrbest .  I know how much you want one.  Goldens are such special dogs.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry.  I totally understand how you feel.  I felt the same emptiness after I lost a pet. It will happen for you, I know it. Hugs!  

(formerly KarenK)

Honored Contributor

Re: Still trying

[ Edited ]

Have you tried AKC Marketplace?  

They ask a few questions, the breed, including your location, then all the pups come up in your area.  You might consider driving to nearby states if that's possible.  Some buyers even fly to different areas of the country to pick up their pups.  

Show breeders advertise on AKC Marketplace, as well as, others.

If I remember correctly, you are concerned about parent testing for inherited medical issues.  You might find a few show breeders there that do.  

Not all show breeders advertise there, so I would contact the Golden Retriever Club for a list of breeders in your area.  You might find a few there that test, but don't have puppies available.  Find out when the next litter is expected.  Call around that time to see if any are for sale.  

Other than those suggestions, I don't know how to find a pup that I feel comfortable buying, and even that is no guarantee.  I know what you are going through.  I've been there in the past.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Still trying

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee @goldensrbest I agree that the club breeders are best. They are trying to improve the breed, not risking the puppy's health. A quality puppy is worth the wait although I know it is frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@On It wrote:

@Foxxee @goldensrbest I agree that the club breeders are best. They are trying to improve the breed, not risking the puppy's health. A quality puppy is worth the wait although I know it is frustrating.

I'm not familiar with any Golden breeders, but the breeders I follow all have a waiting list for puppies.  If you don't get on it, there's no way to get one of their pups when they're still puppies.  Some have very long waiting lists--like years long.

And their puppies are expensive.  It costs them a lot of money to make sure their lines are as healthy as they can get them.  So be prepared to pay for that assurance, which still isn't a complete guarantee something won't happen to your puppy.

You can occasionally get an older dog that they need to adopt out.  And sometimes they know of adopters that have to rehome their pups and are looking for a good home.  But you need to get in contact--and stay in contact--with a breeder.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest    Didn't you find one and decided you didn't want it?  People seem to still be buying them so they must exist somewhere.  There is so much cancer inherent in the breed that perhaps they're not breeding as many as they once did.  I've already given you my suggestions. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

You may be able to find the traits you like in other breeds or perhaps even a mixed breed dog.  Shouldn't close yourself off to other possibilities.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@On It wrote:

I'm not familiar with any Golden breeders, but the breeders I follow all have a waiting list for puppies.  If you don't get on it, there's no way to get one of their pups when they're still puppies.  Some have very long waiting lists--like years long.

And their puppies are expensive.  It costs them a lot of money to make sure their lines are as healthy as they can get them.  So be prepared to pay for that assurance, which still isn't a complete guarantee something won't happen to your puppy.

You can occasionally get an older dog that they need to adopt out.  And sometimes they know of adopters that have to rehome their pups and are looking for a good home.  But you need to get in contact--and stay in contact--with a breeder.  

That is a terrific idea. Responsible breeders will have male and female older dogs they need to place in order to allow diversity in their breeding efforts.

Trusted Contributor

I am having a similar time trying to buy a pug. We had one put to sleep in February and our other pug will be 15 tomorrow. I don't want a puppy and pug rescue sites don't have any. I hear about scammers selling dogs online but after they get your money, there is no dog. I don;'t know where to get another adult pug.  You aren;t allowed to sell them from Facebook either, so that isn't helpful.