Esteemed Contributor

Re: Still having 2 issues with dog

[ Edited ]

Dear ,@hyacinth003   Bless you for adopting  <3

Buy a little thing called ,"Dazzer"  (Amazon) we cannot hear it but dogs can and when he barks just press the button.My Cozy was a big time BARKER... and it worked so great on him in a short time.

BTW ,my grandson could hear it ,he said it is just a little whistle.

Valued Contributor

I had a trainer come to my house from Barkbusters and he said to use a spray bottle of water and spray lightly in the face when the dog barks.    It worked and he also said bark or growl like the mother of this dog would do.  I know it sounds crazy but that also worked.  I lost both my girls, one in 2019 and one in 2020.  Miss them terribly! 

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 

Just a thought.  You have experience with dogs, know dog training commands, worked out other issues with this dog.  Lila has learned other things you taught her.

Was she barking like this when you first brought her into the house or did it develop afterwards?  

Of course, I'd need more background information about Lila, but allow me to share an experience of mine.

I didn't want my small dog begging for food, so I asked family members not to give her what they are eating.  Also, never gave her people food because she might become a begging pest.  

I used verbal commands instead of treats when she was trained.

All went well for awhile, then whenever anyone went into the kitchen, she followed them barking and driving everyone crazy.  I began watching closely and caught a family member sneaking snacks to her.  

Of course, I spoke to this person, but still watched closely.  

She already had learned sit, stay, stop, wait, quiet, no, etc, so these commands came in handy to stop her from doing this.  Whenever she headed off to the kitchen behind someone barking wildly, I said very firmly, "stop," "quiet."  Praised her lavishly when she stopped.  She obeyed because she had learned those commands.  

When I caught her in the kitchen, it was "quiet."  It took some time, but not only did I need to watch her very closely, I needed to watch family members very closely. 

Since then, none of my dogs have gotten people food at all.  No people snacks.  It just causes begging.  With the small yappy type dogs, it causes excessive barking.  

I wouldn't know if this is the cause of Lila's problem, but it's worth looking into and needs to be ruled out.  Make sure no one is feeding her people food.

If Lila had this problem from the beginning, she may have learned this from her previous owners.  It's a bad habit  you will need to break.

You didn't say if she had formal dog training from you or a trainer, but if you didn't I suggest she does so she learns to obey your commands.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 Doesn't that kinda come with Chihuahua territory? Barking is truly a form of recreation for many of them, and I have never met a person yet who won the battle with these teensy babies. They are just so adorable, and attach to their humans in such a sweet way, that its SO hard to discipline them. I'm from the Pushover School of Tiny Dog discipline, so probably best not to listen to me. But have you tried just ignoring her while she barks in the kitchen? If she gets no feedback from you for this behavior, maybe she will tire of it. Good Luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

What have you done that has not worked?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

On the first vet visit with my Cozi, ehe  Vet emphasized NOT to ever give him anything while I was eating............

i did this and he NEVER begged for food while anyone  ate..... 

Contributor

PLEASE ADOPT A  SENIOR DOG.  DON'T CRY.  I AM A SENIOR AND MY

LITTLE DOG IS GREAT COMPANY...GO FOR IT

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Dear ,@hyacinth003   Bless you for adopting  <3

Buy a little thing called ,"Dazzer"  (Amazon) we cannot hear it but dogs can and when he barks just press the button.My Cozy was a big time BARKER... and it worked so great on him in a short time.

BTW ,my grandson could hear it ,he said it is just a little whistle.

I'm still so heartbroken by the loss of my beloved Cozi Boy,I would love to adopt but I am afraid  at 82 maybe I shouldn't.I don't know what to do.

I cry my heart out every single day..........

Go for it! There's a little darlin' out there just waiting for YOU to rescue him or her. Start with  Petfinder and Adopt a Pet websites and go from there. Also check out the site  Grey Muzzles a Senior Pet site. When you see the right little one pounce and be their hero. There's so many pups that need new homes and you need a new buddy. Stop crying and start a rescue. You can do it!