Respected Contributor

Still having 2 issues with dog

I feel like we've tried everything.  We adopted a chihuahua mix (Lila) several months ago.  She is about 1 1/2 years old.

She will still not come when called unless she feels like it and she is still barking at me in the kitchen.

I have tried ignoring her in the kitchen and rewarding her when she's quiet.  She's either not getting it or is very stubborn.  If I say "quiet" in a firm voice, she doubles down on the barking!  It is food related as she doesn't do it if I am doing something not involving food.

We've tried making a big fuss of her when she comes when called and treating her.  I think this is an important skill for a dog for many reasons.

I think she has a stubborn streak as she learns other things very easily!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Still having 2 issues with dog

My dogs were never allowed in the kitchen when I was cooking.  Have you tried crating her when you fix meals?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Work on one behavior at a time. Right now, keep reinforcing the coming when called behavior. Continue to do this for awhile before working on the barking. 

As for the barking. She does not understand or pair the reward you give her for being quiet and doing nothing in her mind. You're correct when you say she's not getting it. She's confused by all of this. You're also using your voice, by saying the word  "quiet" to her. This use of your voice is actually rewarding her because you are giving attention when you speak to her which can be reinforcing the behavior of barking you wish to extinguish. What type of food related behavior are you doing when she barks. She could be associating the food related behavior with the food related behavior that occurs when you prepare her food. She could be associating your food preparations with the food reward she gets when you prepare her food. She could then start demand barking in anticipation of her food. That food prep is associated with a strong reward. She's not stubborn. She's confused. 

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I feel like we've tried everything.  We adopted a chihuahua mix (Lila) several months ago.  She is about 1 1/2 years old.

She will still not come when called unless she feels like it and she is still barking at me in the kitchen.

I have tried ignoring her in the kitchen and rewarding her when she's quiet.  She's either not getting it or is very stubborn.  If I say "quiet" in a firm voice, she doubles down on the barking!  It is food related as she doesn't do it if I am doing something not involving food.

We've tried making a big fuss of her when she comes when called and treating her.  I think this is an important skill for a dog for many reasons.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Keep a leash on her while she's in the house.  When you want her to come, get ahold of the lease and in a sing songy voice say come on and give her a treat when you reach your destination or when you bring her close to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Where did you get her? If it is from a shelter, I think they have dog training classes. I wouldn't keep a leash on her in the house. Maybe you could contact a trainer for some help or suggestions. I think she is training you. She sounds like quite a character.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sorry I was probably mistaken. 

Esteemed Contributor

My brother and his family have the sweetest, most docile chihuahua. Everyone that meets her, falls in love with her, but that wasn't always the case.

When they first brought her home, she was a noisy, feisty puppy, so she had obedience training. The trainer went to their home for all of her sessions, and they were very pleased with the results. 

Lila sounds like a sweetie, that keeps you on your toes.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

I had both my dogs as puppies, and I will say it took my boy dog a lot longer to learn to come to his name when called.  He was a bit oblivious and an adolescent explorer.

Owning a dog for a few months is not really a long time.  Constant repetition and establishing long-term patterns are important for them.

Dogs are very responsive to tone of voice--when I call them they know if I am calling to give them a treat, or if we are angry about something, or if we are taking them on a walk, etc., etc.  I can whisper their names or yell them--they are always aware.  When we call them for a bath, the girl dog turns tail, runs away, and hides under a bush!

Unfortunately, my dogs have never completely learned to be quiet by voice command--I find I have better luck with a distraction.

I would never leash my dog in the house--this is their sanctuary.  My dogs spend all the time they want in the kitchen, as that is where their food and water bowls are located.

Trusted Contributor

@elated wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Where did you get her? If it is from a shelter, I think they have dog training classes. I wouldn't keep a leash on her in the house. Maybe you could contact a trainer for some help or suggestions. I think she is training you. She sounds like quite a character.

I've been doing dog rescue for many years.  One of the things we encourage is to keep a new dog on a leash in the house, especially when you are house breaking the dog.  When you see him appearing to want to do his 'duty' or get into some other trouble, you gently guide him outside or redirect him.

Trusted Contributor

https://wagntails.net/2020/02/04/35-reasons-use-leash-house/

you can google yourself the benefits of keeping a new dog on a leash in the house.