Frequent Contributor

Still discovering new things about my cat almost 1 year after adoption

My family owned cats when I was a child but we lived on a farm and they were outdoor cats that can indoors to spend time with us.  My husband is a dog lover but due to his poor health, he is not able to walk a dog daily so I finally wore him down and thus the adoption last December of a 7 year old beautiful white and grey long hair girl named Rosie.  She is a sweet girl and low maintenance.  I tease that she is middle aged and low energy, like her owners.  

She took to us right away but came to sit in our laps less and less over the months.  I read online and some say this could be because she was feeling at home now.  Some said it is just because cats or independent.  Did I mention we live in Florida and that she is a long hair cat...............  Low and behold, now that the heat has started to leave us, she has started to volununatily sit with us some.  I hadn't even thought that maybe she was just too hot!!  Anyway, we love our girl regardless of whether she sits with us as much as we would like.  We are glad we opened our home to her and look forward to still learning more about her, hopefully for many more years to come. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Still discovering new things about my cat almost 1 year after adoption

@Rosiebudsmom

January will be two years since I adopted my semi feral short haired kitty.  She is aloof, but when the temperature drops she is stuck to my feet in bed like Velcro.  I bought a new down duvet (still too warm to break out) but I have no doubt she will be there in a month snuggling away every night.  

Honored Contributor

@rosiegirl2 wrote:

She took to us right away but came to sit in our laps less and less over the months.  I read online and some say this could be because she was feeling at home now.  Some said it is just because cats or independent.  Did I mention we live in Florida and that she is a long hair cat...............  Low and behold, now that the heat has started to leave us, she has started to volununatily sit with us some.  I hadn't even thought that maybe she was just too hot!!  Anyway, we love our girl regardless of whether she sits with us as much as we would like.  We are glad we opened our home to her and look forward to still learning more about her, hopefully for many more years to come. 

@Rosiebudsmom

January will be two years since I adopted my semi feral short haired kitty.  She is aloof, but when the temperature drops she is stuck to my feet in bed like Velcro.  I bought a new down duvet (still too warm to break out) but I have no doubt she will be there in a month snuggling away every night.  

Honored Contributor

@Rosiebudsmom

Sorry about the double post.  For some reason, it wouldn't post until I quoted yours.  Cat Embarassed

Frequent Contributor

I would like for Rosie to sleep in bed with us except that she wake us up at 3am so we have to keep out door closed.

And sorry for all the typos.  I didn't see them until after I posted.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rosiegirl2 wrote:

I would like for Rosie to sleep in bed with us except that she wake us up at 3am so we have to keep out door closed.

@Rosiebudsmom. You can delete an extra post or correct one by clicking on the three dots in the upper right corner of each post.  Just click on what you want to do and wait for it to load and take the appropriate action.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rosiegirl2 wrote:

My cat Bogey does the same thing ..... he spends the early hours in the living room (on patrol, I guess) and comes into my bed around 3 am-ish.    He very gently but persistently snuggles with me until I wake up to feed him.   

The path of least resistance was to have some little bowls or paper plates and some easy open cans of cat food in the bathroom.  

What I do now is just go to the bathroom when he wakes me,  and then pop open a can of Fancy Feast, put it in the bowl, set it on the bedroom floor and go back to bed.  

Bogey eats his "breakfast" and then joins me on the foot of the bed and dozes off after licking his paws.

Works for both of us.