Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of Dog Food, need recs please

[ Edited ]

We've been feeding raw for about 10 years. Just raw meaty bones from the grocery store plus some organs. Ours get a lot of chicken leg quarters but also tripe and liver on occasion. We switch out other protein sources based on what's on sale. It's healthier than any kibble on the market and it's their natural food that their digestive systems were designed to eat, unlke the grains and starchy vegetables in commercial dog food. They need the bones for the calcium and raw bones are safe. It's cooked bones that are a problem. Plus because bone in raw meat and organs are highly digestible they have very little stool and it has basically no smell. What comes out disintegrates after a few days. Well except in the snow.

One of my dogs was supposed to be on rx food for the rest of his life from the time he was a year old. I fed it to him for a couple years but he gained a ton of weight and developed allergies. We switched him to raw and he has been at a healthy weight since and he is going to be 14 year old this year.  

Oh and it's cheaper than "premium" dog food. I'm feeding 3 dogs that total between 90-100 lbs ( a German Shepherd, a pug and a chihuahua, plus my cats eat some raw food also) and I'd say it probably costs me 30-40 dollars a month although we buy in bulk when meat goes on sale. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom, Are you saying it's ok for dogs to eat chicken bones?  Other bones?  Not just chew on them, but actually ingest them?  I had always heard that you needed to worry about bones splintering and causing internal damage.  I feel more confused now than ever.  

Valued Contributor

@jaxs mom  I totally agree. Feeding raw has worked out well for my two poodles. They love it.  I buy cases of chicken quarters when they go on sale and freeze them in daily portions. I alternate with beef I buy in bulk from local farms.  I thaw everything as I use it.

@Citrine1  Raw bones are soft and safe for dogs to eat. Try feeding your dog a chicken neck! They have a nice chew and it goes right through.  When bones are cooked, they can become brittle and dangerous for dogs intestines.   An added bonus is if you have a yard where you constantly clean up after your dog, you will be amazed how raw food cuts down on their waste.  

I give my dogs carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes,  apples and berries.  They absolutely love oranges.  However, I always brush (or swab) their teeth afterwards.  They think the poultry flavored enzyme toothpaste is another treat. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@jaxs mom, Are you saying it's ok for dogs to eat chicken bones?  Other bones?  Not just chew on them, but actually ingest them?  I had always heard that you needed to worry about bones splintering and causing internal damage.  I feel more confused now than ever.  

Cooked bones will splinter with sharp edges causing the internal damage.  Not ALL bones are to be eaten, some are to be chewed on.  Depending on the size and individual dog most poultry bones will work.  In larger animals weight bearing bones are better for chewing on rather than digesting.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@rrpell, Thanks so much for your reply.  I just learned so much from you that I had no idea about! 

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1  I know many people believe in feeding raw bones, and it may be okay.  I would look into it completely before starting it though.  My Vet says she has seen many dogs hurt badly from eating raw bones.  It's been a couple of years since I discussed it with her, so I don't remember exactly what she said except that it could be dangerous.  You probably would do this anyway, but just wanted to say to do more research before doing this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, I appreciate your input.  To be honest, I don't think I would feed my dog a raw diet or bones, but I was curious and compelled to ask questions.  Certainly I've heard of raw diets, but I hadn't known about feeding bones, so I wanted to know more.  I always thought bones were dangerous.

I don't see this as a route my dog and I would take, but I was glad to have the information.  Thank you!

Valued Contributor

@Citrine1

Yes, I understand....it takes a big leap to get to the point of feeding raw meat!  When it was first suggested to me, I thought "ugh".  I wasn't sure if I could do it. However, my vet approves and my poodle breeder taught me as she feeds her dogs this way.   I just wanted to clarify a few things in case anyone else is considering doing this. The beef I use looks like hamburger.  It is not a "bone" thing.  The chicken quarters are whole and I have defrosted them in water (never the microwave).  I give the chicken to them, outside.  They are large poodles so they take the quarters and go off and eat, without a bowl, like they would do in nature.  I enjoy that part because there is no cleanup!  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

I agree!  Feeding a big dog could cost $80/month.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Fromm, Zignature and Wysonng.  They have dry and canned and a vareity of flavors. We have two German Shepherds and the female has a sensitive tummy. These three brands work for her.