Honored Contributor

Speaking of Dog Food, need recs please

Some of you may have seen my thread about my rescue dog that joined our family over the holidays and I'm looking for dry food recommendations.

His foster Mom fed him Call of the Wild - Salmon flavor, so I bought the same, but his stool has consistently been too soft. Not diarrhea, but way too soft.

We thought the first week or so that it may be caused by excitement over new home, family, etc., but he's adjusted like he's lived here with us forever, yet it hasn't improved.

He's had his vet check and he's in fine health, so maybe a food change will help.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! (I'll pass on Blue Buffalo, though)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of Dog Food, need recs please

I recently switched to Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato, and my dog loves it.  After getting a few recommendations and reading about it on their website, I was convinced it was a quality food.  Prior to that I was feeding Wellness, which I feel is a good food, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Visitor

I also foster rescue dogs. A good source to find dog foods is www.dogfoodadvisor.com .

They list by 5 star (highest) , 4 star, etc. Many times rescue dogs are not used to high grade dog food (5 and 4 star). You may need to reduce amount or mix with other food to get dog used to it. It is amazing to see how a dog's coat and skin improve with good food. 

Thank you for fostering rescues!

Respected Contributor

One of our rescues came to us with stomach problems.  After lots of trial and trying different brands, we settled on Avoderm Baked Lamb and Brown Rice.  We also add a pro-biotic to the food.  It's really helped.  The dogs have been on it for several years.

Prior to that, we fed out dogs Natural Balance Potato and Duck.  And I have had good success with Blue Buffalo for one of the dogs (no longer with us).  A friend of mine likes Orenjen.

If you have a specialty pet store close by I would go in and ask for advise and samples.  And check out The Dog Food Advisor website.  There are lots of good options out there.

Esteemed Contributor

Purina, all of our dogs have been on this dog food for decades.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ugh, good luck with your searc @KingstonsMom!  

I, too, was feeding my dog Call of the Wild - Salmon flavor.  I was very happy with his stool and hated the idea of changing his food for that very reason, but he simply didn't like it.  When he came to me as a younger puppy, it's what his breeder had been feeding him and he seemed perfectly happy with it.  But after a few months I noticed he was less and less excited about meal time. 

I switched to Purina One Smartblend - Lamb and Rice.  He loves it.  But now I just looked at that website that's posted here with ratings, and see this particular food only has 2 stars.  Sigh.

I'll tell you, back in the day when I was a kid, our dogs did not get fed premium dog foods.  Did they even make them then?  They got ALPO and table scraps.  They rarely went to the vet, never got heartworm meds or, gee for that matter anything other than a rabies shot.  We never had flea or tick issues and they all lived to ripe old ages.  Oh, and did they EVER get groomed?  I don't think so.

Pet ownership has become quite expensive!

Edit:  Ooops.  It's "Taste of the Wild", not call.

Esteemed Contributor

As I said in another posting, ever since I was a little girl and now as an adult, all of our dogs have had Purina/ Purina One.  Every one has lived into old age and some of our dogs were special needs or senior rescues.  I don't go for the trendy dog foods, seeing is believing.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Ugh, good luck with your searc @KingstonsMom!  

I, too, was feeding my dog Call of the Wild - Salmon flavor.  I was very happy with his stool and hated the idea of changing his food for that very reason, but he simply didn't like it.  When he came to me as a younger puppy, it's what his breeder had been feeding him and he seemed perfectly happy with it.  But after a few months I noticed he was less and less excited about meal time. 

I switched to Purina One Smartblend - Lamb and Rice.  He loves it.  But now I just looked at that website that's posted here with ratings, and see this particular food only has 2 stars.  Sigh.

I'll tell you, back in the day when I was a kid, our dogs did not get fed premium dog foods.  Did they even make them then?  They got ALPO and table scraps.  They rarely went to the vet, never got heartworm meds or, gee for that matter anything other than a rabies shot.  We never had flea or tick issues and they all lived to ripe old ages.  Oh, and did they EVER get groomed?  I don't think so.

Pet ownership has become quite expensive!

@Citrine1

I hear ya'! I grew up in the ountry in the South and have owned everything from horses to a monkey and everything in between almost and unless there was an injury, our dogs only saw the vet for rabies shots once a year.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

As I said in another posting, ever since I was a little girl and now as an adult, all of our dogs have had Purina/ Purina One.  Every one has lived into old age and some of our dogs were special needs or senior rescues.  I don't go for the trendy dog foods, seeing is believing.

@colliegirls

I've had good luck with Purina in the past too. My DD has been using their new 'Beyond' dog food and I was thinking of trying that one.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions and I'll check them all out!

Much appreciated!