Respected Contributor

Re: Spaying And Overnight Stay

First, i want to give @Mersha some info on overnighting. To give you my thoughts on overnighting i need some info from you.   How old is your dog, what breed, has she already had heat cycles or a chance she is in estrus?  The reason for asking is that if your dog is older, already had heat cycles the surgery is more complex, more blood, much larger incision because the uterus is larger etc., versus a 6 month old puppy who has not had a cycle.  Talk to your vet about your concerns.  Find out what time of day she will be done. If she is done first thing in the morning, and you don’t pick her up till the evening, would that give them enough time to observe her?  I have done it both ways.  It is important whenever you bring her home that she be kept quiet, cone on, no jumping until the stitches come out.

Second, the laparoscopic surgery involves just removing the two ovaries.  This means the uterus remains.  Although it is less invasive you have to consider that the uterus remains and might become infected or worse cancerous.

Trusted Contributor

We also had our pet microchipped on the same day, after the neutering, it is their ticket home if they ever get lost.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

For those inquiring, yes, it is the vet's recommendation that all "spays" stay overnight. 

They can monitor the dog all day and do a last check at 8 p.m.  Someone is in by 7:00 a.m.  The vet's thinking is that the dog would do best being contained and quiet.  There is no staff overnight, as I asked about that specifically.

However, if you are adamant that you want your dog home after the surgery is done, you are free to do so.

As I have not had a female dog for many, many years, I sought out advice as to which choice to make.

Someone mentioned laparoscopy for spaying which I did not know was an option.  I will definitely look into that before I do anything.  It seems it is less invasive, painful and the dog will heal faster.

Thanks to all of those that took the time to offer advice!!!

I have had female and male dogs for many, many years and never had to leave them there over night for a spay. Perhaps , you should not post what you do not know. A dog does much better if she is home among people she loves and in a place she knows.  

What the heck is that in reference to?

@Marp  - I could not figure that one out either, Marp.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

First, i want to give @Mersha some info on overnighting. To give you my thoughts on overnighting i need some info from you.   How old is your dog, what breed, has she already had heat cycles or a chance she is in estrus?  The reason for asking is that if your dog is older, already had heat cycles the surgery is more complex, more blood, much larger incision because the uterus is larger etc., versus a 6 month old puppy who has not had a cycle.  Talk to your vet about your concerns.  Find out what time of day she will be done. If she is done first thing in the morning, and you don’t pick her up till the evening, would that give them enough time to observe her?  I have done it both ways.  It is important whenever you bring her home that she be kept quiet, cone on, no jumping until the stitches come out.

Second, the laparoscopic surgery involves just removing the two ovaries.  This means the uterus remains.  Although it is less invasive you have to consider that the uterus remains and might become infected or worse cancerous.

@Shawnie  Thanks so much for the valuable info.

She is a 17 month old Portuguese Water Dog and has had one heat.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@Shawnie  Thanks so much for the valuable info.

She is a 17 month old Portuguese Water Dog and has had one heat.

Talk to your vet. He/she knows your dog.  Ask to see where she will spend the night.  You might want to defer your decision till that afternoon, to see how she is recovering from the anesthesia.  If you bring her home same day she will basically eat small meals, receive pain meds and sleep it off.