Respected Contributor

Re: Spaying And Overnight Stay

@lolakimono wrote:

@Mersha 

How far away do you live from the vet?

The car ride after anesthesia may be another factor.

@lolakimono  I am about 10 minutes from the vet so the car ride would not be that long.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

There is no reason to find another Vet.  I'm sure your Vet will let you bring her home if you insist.  I've done it both ways.  When I had Henry, my cat, neutered a year and a half ago I left him overnight. My Vet said it was included in the price along with a complete exam the following morning.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have two females.  They were both spayed when they were one year old.  My Vet wanted to keep them overnight unsupervised.  I refused and was allowed to take them home before the office closed for the night...around 5pm.

They were both fine at home.  They had surgery one year apart by two different Vets.  One had a small incision and the other one looked like she was cut from stem to stern.  

In the future, I will always ask for a Vet who does the small incision procedure.  When I asked why afterward, I was told one Vet preferred to do the procedure with a bigger incision...not medically necessary, just his preference.  He will no longer be doing any spay procedures on my dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

Try and find a ver that does orthodontic sprays.  Two tiny incisions, no stitches and no need for an overnight stay.  Recovery time is also so much faster.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha   My Jack Russell did fine bringing her home.There was nobody there at night. He used laser which heals faster. Sooo glad my former vets office 5 minutes away just remains open all night for emergencies. 

i wouldn’t leave her!

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

I knew that I would receive thoughtful replies from the knowledgeable pet lovers here.

My puppy and I are most appreciative!!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha  - If you've been going to the same vet for 20 years, why wouldn't you just ask him why he thinks keeping your dog overnight is a good idea?

You must surely trust him after all these years?  I discuss every course of treatment for my cats with my vet, who I trust implicitly.  I don't feel there's anything I couldn't ask him.

Better to ask your vet directly than to worry about it.  (And I don't know your vet's office, but mine has staff to check on any animals in its care overnight.  I find it hard to believe your vet would not monitor any animal that had had surgery.)

Respected Contributor

@Mersha 

You did not give enough information. Why did he advise that he keep her overnight? Is there something else going on with her medically? You have used this vet for 20 years so you should have a good enough relationship to ask. How do you know that there is NO staff in the office after closing?

I think you need to talk to the vet and be honest with him.

I have brought mine home and kept in isolation away from high noise. I was trained in what to look for and had no problems. If my vet had felt she needed to stay then she would have stayed. The vet lives at the clinic and has cameras on all pets. They also have a night team that comes in if they have out of surgery or  medical needs patients. The cost for this is a lot more due to paying all the staff.

If you bring your pet home you may need to have a plan to go to an all hour emergency place if the need arises.

I was kind of surprised when I thought that no one would be there after hours and found out the amount of hours people are there and the addditional staff that comes in.  I think it is not right to deem this vet as a bad one without more information. If you have been pleased with them for 20 years then I think you would know whether they are a good or bad fit for you.

Best wishes

doxie

Valued Contributor

I recently had my female kitten spayed and she got picked up at 5. I have had others neutered over the years,including ferals, and they all have come home the same day.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

The vets "reasoning" for overnight is that the staff leaves at 8:00 pm and arrives the next morning at 7:00 am and they could assess as to how she is doing.

My only inclination to even think about that was things would be quiet and she could rest.  There is so much activity here with the other dog.

I want to do what is best for her and it sounds like, from everyone's experience, coming home would be the way to go.

@Mersha, going on the assumption that your vet is familiar with your other dog the anticipated interest and activity may well be the reason for wanting to keep your girl overnight.   Ask your vet if s/he routinely keeps spays overnight or if the recommendation is particular to your dog.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.