Respected Contributor

Let me start by saying that I have the first female dog since I was a little girl so this is new for me.

I have been going to the same vet for 20 years.  I would love for him to spay her but he advised that it would best for her to stay overnight at the vet office. 

There is NO staff at the office overnight so she would be alone.  If I brought her home, I would put her in a crate and sleep beside her.  Of course, there is activity going on here, in addition to my other dog, which might be stressful as she wants to be in the middle of everything.

I would so appreciate any input as to whether it would be best to leave her at the vet, take her home or find another vet that has overnight staffing.

Thanks so much!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

Re: Spaying And Overnight Stay

I have owned two Springer Spaniel females and have always brought them home the same day they were spayed.  Never had any problems beside they were a little groggy from the anesthesia, plus kept a eye on the incision,

Respected Contributor

I would not want my pet to be alone all night after surgery.

Ask if you can bring her home.  If not, I would find a different vet.  

Respected Contributor

@Mersha ~ I've had a few females over the many years, and had them spayed.  But, they never stayed the night.

I don't understand the over night stay when there is nobody there to monitor her.  JMO - Wouldn't she be much safer with you to watch her?  

Hopefully someone here with more recent knowledge than me can give you some advice.  Maybe they do things differently now?   

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

What is the point of keeping your little girl overnight if there is no supervision other than to collect a fee for a cage overnight?  Bring her home, your love and care will be more healing than an empty cage.  Best wishes for an easy recovery!

Respected Contributor

When our girls were spayed neither had to spend the night and I would not have allowed it unless absolutely necessary and there was 24 hour staffing.

They were scheduled to be there ALL day for post-op supervison.  Although they let me take my one girl come home early after it was noted that she was stressed by being at the vet.  I was given extensive directions and stayed at home with her.  We were close to the vet and I would have returned it necessary.  

She was fine and she rested quietly at home with me.

Regular Contributor

there is something wrong with this plan- if she needs to stay overnight for monitoring, why would she stay somewhere there is no one monitoring? definitely speak to other vets. my vet does not keep their patients overnight because there is no staff overnight. if a pet is not responding and well enough to go home, they are transferred to a 24 hr vet service where there are vets and techs all night long.

Respected Contributor

I have owned numerous cats and dogs over the years and currently have 3 dogs and 5 cats. All have been spayed and/or neutered and never stayed over night. If your vet won't let you bring your dog home later in the day, FIND ANOTHER VET!!! And what vet would ever want any pet unsupervised ?? I'd find another Vet just on that alone!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have never left any of my dogs overnight after a spay or neuter.  Three of my dogs had a retained testicle and their incisions were long.  I brought them home. 

I would absolutely refuse to leave my dog overnight where there would be no one there.  What if her incision opened up?  I can't believe that your vet would even consider doing this.  If there are complications and needed to be watched closely, then what?

I would just be firm and say you are picking her up after she is up and moving around.  Try to schedule to be one of the first surgeries of the day.

Stay firm!  This is your dog.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Mersha - you said there will be no office staff but there might be staff in the hospital portion.

My Vet has a completely different section of the building for the hospital patients. Unless you went into that area you would not know there were 3-4 people dealing with the dog and cats. They are there 24/7. They are in addition to the office staff, Doctors and the Vet Techs dealing with the office visits.