Respected Contributor

My tuxie Spats put his head through the handles of BBW bag I had discarded on the floor. He took off like a bat out of heck, tore part of the bag off and ended up under the bed with the handle still around his neck. I took it off him but he has been hiding in the closet and under the bed all day. He seems to blame ME. I guess because I brought the devil bag into the house. He is the funniest cat I have ever had

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Spats Freaked Out

[ Edited ]

I have had two unfortunate experiences with plastic bags and cats.  A dear friend lost her cat when he was strangled after getting the handles of a plastic bag tangled around his neck.  Friend saw what was happening but couldn't free kitty in time.

The second experience was with a neighbor's cat.  She put her head through the handles of a plastic bag and the bag itself started moving.  Much like OP described with her cat the neighbor's cat panicked and ran.  Ran into a sliding patio door so hard she was knocked unconscious and sustained a leg fracture.

I am always extremely careful that my cats can't get to any  plastic bags without my knowledge and when I allow them to play with the bags I cut the handles and across the bottom so they can't get inside the bag (threat of smothering) or tangled in the handles.  While they are playing with the bag I watch them like they were a two year old.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Actually it was a paper bag with paper handles but your warning is appropriate. I watched the whole thing and got the bag handle off him as soon as I could. He has come out of hiding now.

Respected Contributor

Poor Tuxie Kitty!  Mean Ol' Bag!  It IS scary to be cught and have that THING follow you no matter how fast you run. That happened to my boy cat and I thought he ws going to have a heart attack, He wouldn't let me anyhere near him.  Happened with my girl cat and when she heard me call her she just stopped and waited for me to take it off her.  All depends on the cat.  Now I cut the handles off the paper bags and Try to keep plastic bags up and away. I'm also one of those people who cuts open any plastic rings that come off packaging like milk bottles and soda holders so nobody,anywhere can get their little jaw or head stuck through them.  Hope Spats recovers by Breakfast!

Valued Contributor

I had a cat that got the handles caught on her neck also. It had a pair of shoes in it, and she still flew around the house terrified. I finally got her to stop and got it off, but she was deathly afraid of plastic bags the rest of her life.

cookin