Respected Contributor

Re: Someone gave my stray dog a bath

Are you keeping the dog? If so then it's no longer a stray & you should keep the dog safely on your property. 

Respected Contributor

Is it possible he's lost?  Maybe someone owns him and they are looking for him.  Have you thought of putting an ad in the paper?

He's either a stray or your dog.  He can't be your stray dog.  You say he "came home" so it sounds as if want the dog.  If you've gone to all the expense and trouble that you have, then why not just make him your dog officially. 

Honored Contributor

I think many of you have no idea what much of rural America is like.

We are the dumping grounds for people who no longer want their animals, or for the litters that come when they don't spay and neuter then don't accept the responsibility. 

We are surrounded by people who have no regard for animals and let them live outside, unattended, and  uncared for, until they wander away. 

I'd love to have a dollar for every stray or dumped animal we have been forced to deal with because someone else didn't do what they should for their pets. We have kept as many as we thought we could properly care for over the years, and the rest, we try to find homes or organizations for, but it can literally turn into a full time job, trying to locate a place that will take these animals at all, let alone a no kill facility.

We too, in order to protect our own animals, have made temporary lodgings outdoors on porches or in garages for those passing through, while we attempt to spend our time and resources to find them other placement. It can take weeks or even months sometimes, and we do the best we can, remembering our first commitment is to those we have already adopted and taken into our home.

Many rescue organizations are geared toward specific breeds, and when you get a mutt, those organizations are completely overwhelmed. And forget the cats, there is just no place within maybe 70 miles around me that ever has room for a cat.

I applaud OP for the care she is providing for this stray. He has it so much better than most of the pets I see tied to boxes for years on end around my area, never off their chains. Food, shelter, some human contact, bathing and (flea/heartworm) medication is actually more than a lot of children in this nation receive. I feel bad that some here are challenging the level of care being provided. We all do what we can do. 

Some places have many private rescue organizations, humane societies, county funded pounds, ASPCA etc. but many places have almost nothing, or what is available is so overburdened, they can't help. 

I remember finding a stray cat a long time ago. I went from neighbor to neighbor to see if anyone was missing a cat. One lady asked me why I was worrying about it, and didn't just take it to the vet and get it checked out and get it whatever it needed (the cat wasn't injured or sick). I had to explain that at the time, we had so little resources, the humans in our house didn't even go to the dentist, because we didn't have insurance or the money to do so, therefore taking a stray cat to the vet simply wasn't within our means.

Sorry for such a long post, but it has been so heart wrenching, some of the stray, sick and injured animals that have crossed our path in the last 30 years. At times is just gets overwhelming, and so frustrating when we can't find them a place. I've been where the OP is, and thank her for doing something, which is more than so many do.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  Well said.  You're right those of us who live in the city really have no idea about the dumped animals with which more rural dwellers must cope. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

This is such a sad post. I love animals and find it heartwrenching that people can just dump their animals. I wonder what type of person could do this to an animal. They have no way of taking care of themselves. I am glad you are doing your best to keep these animals safe and feed. The area I live in we have a no kill shelter.

Honored Contributor

A dog should not just be left to roam, nice your trying to care for him,but he needs to see a vet, too many things can happen to a dog by allowing to roam the streets.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@happycat  Is it possible that he's not "lost", but decided to visit you often because it's a welcoming place? Perhaps he goes home from time to time and his owner gave him a bath? Just wondering. Could he be microchipped? If you have a vet, you could take him/her in and they can check for you. Thank you for being a caring person for this pup.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Your posting brought back memories.  Many years ago, I discovered a beautiful stray Sheltie in my yard.  He hung out for a few days and I fed him.  One night he came with hundreds of burrs stuck to his fur, mostly his belly and legs.  They were causing him pain and I felt sorry for him.

i took him inside and had to cut all of those burrs off of him.  I tried to make him look presentable with a good haircut and gave him a bath and blow dry.  I made a nice bed for him in the attached garage, but he wanted out, so my DH let him go.

i didn't see him again for a few weeks and when I did, he was walking on a leash with a woman. I told her that he was roaming the neighborhood and asked if he was hers.  She said he likes to take off and got out of the house for a few days, but yes, he was hers.  She lives two streets over from me.

i wonder what she thought when he came home with a bath and a new haircut. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pattypeep wrote:

@happycat  Is it possible that he's not "lost", but decided to visit you often because it's a welcoming place? Perhaps he goes home from time to time and his owner gave him a bath? Just wondering. Could he be microchipped? If you have a vet, you could take him/her in and they can check for you. Thank you for being a caring person for this pup.

This is VERY possible and happens all the time out here in the middle of nowhere. animals come and "visit". We even have a discussion about this on our NextDoor forum, people asking whose dogs or cats are hanging out at their house. One in particular is a long discussion about a lady who said she is getting tired of all the cats hanging out at her house over the past 17 years. The most recent one she took a picture of it and asked whose it it. She says it comes in her cat door and eats her cats' food and lays on her couches. Been doing that for a few months now. A few people claimed it was their cat and asked her to just prevent the cat from eating at her house since they feed it and it doesn't need to eat. As if that is the REAL problem here! Geeze! I personally have had one particular dog that came to visit me from time to time but now I know where he lives and I take him back home although I am not sure I should since he is always stinky, his coat is dirty, his nails are too long and he has been left to wander too many times. He is a small dog and I am really shocked he hasn't been taken by a coyote by now. Well, perhaps he has now since I haven't seen him in quite awhile. I feel sorry for that sweet dog. 

Another example was a lost dog.The owners said he liked to visit the frisbee golf course several miles away and usually comes home in a few days but it had been longer so they were "concerned". Idiots. 

So many of these peoplel think because they live out in the country, they can let their animals roam free. They even let their horses roam free- I am not even kidding. I went outside on my property the other day and there were horse hoofs, trampled ground and poop everywhere. Come to find out, one of my neighbors has decided his horses prefer to roam during the day and so he lets them. Apparently we are the wild wild west again.