Respected Contributor

Re: So tempted to adopt another dog

I've volunteered and fostered at a shelter for years. The kittens and puppies fly out the door. The older "special needs" (mostly because how a human treated them previously) tend to linger.  It's those that keep me awake at night. 

Thank you for considering adoption.

Respected Contributor

I'm a cat person and when my last cat passed many years ago I decided no more cats. I think I lasted about 5 months and went to the shelter and got my Slick. A year later and went back and got my Maisie. About 3 years ago, took in a feral kitten from colony  my sister takes care of and he is Stormy. So from 0 cats to 3 cats and I just love them. Someone to come home to and be with every day. Follow your heart and you will have a best friend to share with. Yes, it's hard to loose them, but they give so much and you give so much to them. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Valued Contributor

it sounds like you have a lot of love to give to a pet, an especially a pet that needs love.

Please post pics of your new pup Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

I hope you get the new family member.

My dogs are what gets me through my day. They are my family and I love it! Smiley Happy

"Who Rescued Who"

Valued Contributor

You are drawn to this dog for a reason--this may be meant to be.  Go adopt this dog and give him a great life.  Thank you for rescuing!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    Aha, I suspected he was a collie but was afraid to suggest it, like my avatar, Jett.  You better snatch him up.  Our Southwest Collie Rescue is seeing very few purebred collies these days, especially young dogs without health problems.  Collies just aren't the "in" breed.... we need another Lassie movie. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla   I could be wrong (as my memory is fading), but haven't you owned collies in the past?  

My current dog is a tri color rough coated collie.  He's a sweet heart.  I actually had a sable and white female at the same time as him, but she died last summer at the young age of two.  She was a mentally challenged dog who's seizures we could no longer control).  Sorry, getting off track here.

Anyway, from our past discussions, I know you and I are from the same general area.  Do you, by any chance, know who the breeder of this dog is?  I'm just curious.  I've owned 6 collies over the last 40 years.  They've all been Tartansides.  Our last four dogs came from the same breeder.  

I think you will go ahead and adopt this dog.  I certainly wish you the best of luck.  

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@drizzellla   I could be wrong (as my memory is fading), but haven't you owned collies in the past?  

My current dog is a tri color rough coated collie.  He's a sweet heart.  I actually had a sable and white female at the same time as him, but she died last summer at the young age of two.  She was a mentally challenged dog who's seizures we could no longer control).  Sorry, getting off track here.

Anyway, from our past discussions, I know you and I are from the same general area.  Do you, by any chance, know who the breeder of this dog is?  I'm just curious.  I've owned 6 collies over the last 40 years.  They've all been Tartansides.  Our last four dogs came from the same breeder.  

I think you will go ahead and adopt this dog.  I certainly wish you the best of luck.  

So sorry you lost your sable and white at only 2 years old. I am sure it was painful to watch and live through that. And only two years old, poor dog.

We "babysat" a white smooth collie for a year. And then we were fortunate to "rescue" a sable and white rough collie. We got him when he was 6 or 7 years old, any information we got had different birth years.. He had numerous health issues but couldn't ask for a better fellow.

I know that the rescue group has a long standing relationship with Cando from Buckingham. She has been very generous with the rescue. But I was not told any information from the President about who the breeder was. 

We still want to talk to the President before we leap. The group has a pile of applications one inch thick. If there is a better match out there, I would rather the dog go to another household. If they think the dog is high energy and needs younger owners. We would rather he goes to the best home.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla    Aha, I suspected he was a collie but was afraid to suggest it, like my avatar, Jett.  You better snatch him up.  Our Southwest Collie Rescue is seeing very few purebred collies these days, especially young dogs without health problems.  Collies just aren't the "in" breed.... we need another Lassie movie. 

Yes!, I watch Lassie Come Home every time it is on.

Collies are few and far between. This is the first puppy to appear in the past few years. It is exciting because the dog is also in excellent heath.  He is a cutie.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your response @drizzellla .  He's a pretty boy!  It's obvious you have his best interest at heart.  I'm sure he'll end up in good hands.