Honored Contributor

So tempted to adopt another dog

Last week we were talking to the President of a local rescue group. He mentioned that he had a dog available. We lost our guy in September, 2020. We keep saying that we don't want another dog BUT I would love to get one.

Well today he sent out pictures and a bit of background about the dog. And a note about the dog's past stuck with me - "Prior to him coming in the rescue, the former owner did not have him to a vet as was agreed to in her contract with the breeder to get him current on vaccines. He also had 4" of matts that were shaved from him. When we rescued him, he was a docile sad looking soul but now he has come into his own."

So the breeder followed up with this person and didn't like what she saw. And then gave the dog to the rescue group. 

Super Contributor

Re: So tempted to adopt another dog

Do it!

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. We lost ours in April of 2020 (bone cancer) and I have not been the same since. I really would love to adopt one again, but we have to travel quite a distance when visiting my son at school and I have no one to take care of it. I know I will get another one in a few years...but until then, my heart is missing a piece.

Good luck in your decision...

Honored Contributor

We have 4 dogs. Just recently (2 yrs ago) adopted a little PomChi. He was very ill and dying . Today he is a perky little guy and very loved. We are not sorry the we  adopted him.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   Dogs in shelters, homeless dogs, call them what you will - they ALL need rescued to loving humans to care for them. You KNOW you really want another four-legged pal hanging with you and your loved ones. Like someone else here said "GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Nothing but LOVE can come from THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla    What breed of dog was it?  I'm one of those people who simply cannot be without a dog.  I even seek them out when on vacation, so naturally I think you should make the leap.  They enhance our lives so much. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Go get him!!!!

Respected Contributor

Go for it! Cheers!

Aspen Animal Rescue T-Shirts - Black — Emporium & Flying Circus

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Every time my husband and I said that we wouldn't adopt another dog we caved, adopted a beagle, and never regretted it. Our current fur baby, Maddie, was a rescue. She is the sweetest, most spoiled and pampered dog we've ever had. Last November she had cancer surgery and now is on chemo, one pill per day, that she is handling remarkably well. We are hoping and praying that she will have more time with us but we'll never let her suffer. 

My husband,who has dementia, keeps saying Maddie is our last dog. Then yesterday, for the first time, he said he cannot live without a dog. I should have recorded it so that I could prove what his "true" feelings are. I hope Maddie has a long and happy life but I've learned that if your love for a dog is overflowing, there's always room in your heart for another.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Last week we were talking to the President of a local rescue group. He mentioned that he had a dog available. We lost our guy in September, 2020. We keep saying that we don't want another dog BUT I would love to get one.

Well today he sent out pictures and a bit of background about the dog. And a note about the dog's past stuck with me - "Prior to him coming in the rescue, the former owner did not have him to a vet as was agreed to in her contract with the breeder to get him current on vaccines. He also had 4" of matts that were shaved from him. When we rescued him, he was a docile sad looking soul but now he has come into his own."

So the breeder followed up with this person and didn't like what she saw. And then gave the dog to the rescue group. 

I would make sure that all family members also would love to get another dog before you do so.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@drizzellla    What breed of dog was it?  I'm one of those people who simply cannot be without a dog.  I even seek them out when on vacation, so naturally I think you should make the leap.  They enhance our lives so much. 

He is a rough collie.

"Cooper is a purebred tri-color rough coat and comes with his pedigree papers. He is in excellent health, up to date on vaccinations, and also neutered once he came to us."

Going to talk to the President again. Cooper is still a puppy.  I want to find out if there is a match that he thinks might be better suited for the dog. We are older and take lots of walks. Cooper might like to go on lots of runs.