Frequent Contributor
Yesterday I awoke to one of my kitties not feeling well.
Since I couldn't determine what the issue was (she was absolutely normal the day before), DH and I felt that she needed to see the vet.
My regular vet had no openings so I found another that could see her same day.
Although I am grateful for the quick appointment, when I got the final bill I almost fell over!
$1000 for diagnosis and treatment of constipation! WTH?!?
We were there for 2 hours and none of the tests or the vets exam were done in our presence.
Because I have a bit of a background in veterinary care, I felt that if the doctor would have given my girl a proper exam first, all the unnecessary testing (blood work, x-rays)could have been avoided or at least dialed back a bit.
On top of it all, the young lady that took payment for the bill said ' now she's (the cat) a million dollar baby.
The whole situation has made me pretty salty.
No wonder people are surrendering their pets.
It's near impossible to afford vet care and pet food.
I would do anything for my fur babies but feel that I was really taken advantage of.
Honored Contributor

Oh, wow, that's just wrong ..... was there any discussion about prices of tests?  

Not an area I know a lot about, but whenever I go for something like that, I always ask for an estimate.  

Well, I don't know where it stands now ... did you just pay the whole bill?   It not, I think trying to negotiate a reduction would be in order.

Respected Contributor

My daughter in laws Aunt had that happen .. although her bill was only

$ 250 . ... all they gave the cat was a quarter teaspoon of an over the

counter human laxative .... that's outrageous .... they want people to

adopt pets but its so expensive to care for them when they get sick ...

Respected Contributor

@sharkb8   So sorry you and your lil furry one had to be subjected to all that and I swear it's getting ridiculous money-wise at the vet.

My friend told me it's $100-- just to walk through the door!

Sending good thoughts to you and your sweet kitty. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

Vet care is very expensive.  Everytime I go its around $400.00. Thats for routine care and shots as needed.  When there's a problem I always figure around $1000 at least. Then double that as I have 2 pups.  Grooming too,  is expensive and  that runs around $120. every 3 months for each of them. They bring such joy and we manage, but so many cant and abandon their animals.  Especially seniors.Its just sad.

Honored Contributor

Something sounds very fishy to me. 

I would ask for the medical records of all tests done and vet comments.  

A full list of tests are done by my vet and he charges a little over $150 for all of them.  $50 for the visit that includes the exam.  

I'd like to know what test was done to determine your pet was constipated.  All vets I visited always felt around the abdomen for unusual lumps and during that exam could determine whether the bowels were full.  

Valued Contributor

@sharkb8 

WOW, that's steep.  I've only heard of that kind of fee for tests and treatment if performed at an emergency vet.

Year's ago, our dog needed her teeth cleaned and it was $600.00.  A large part of that was the pre-op testing.

I guess that's why I'm seeing as many pet insurance commercials as I do for Medicare.

Frequent Contributor
I think the issue is that the vet didn't examine her when we got there.
He ordered expensive testing first.
I understand that an animal can't tell you what's wrong but I feel that they went for the pricey tests first purposely.
I didn't need this big expense with the holidays upon us and a husband who just underwent surgery for prostate cancer.
The vet's office will be calling tomorrow to see how the cat is doing. I'm going to ask to speak to the practice manager if they have one.
It may be a waste of time but I've gotta get it off my chest.
Frequent Contributor
No prior discussion of test costs.
DH and I sat alone in the exam room while they tested my girl.
No one came in with a progress report the entire time.
We didn't meet the vet until everything had already been done.
Regular Contributor

I get it, I had to take my cat Scruffy in and the bill was 750$.  He wasn't eating much amd he was a  little jauniced.   They did take him into another room for the blood draws and i get that having been a phlebotomist myself.  People don;t like to watch their loved oes getting stick with a needle.    I was told the price of everything before it was done.   

The sweet vet tech did trim his claws and didn't charge me.  He fell in love with Scruf.fy.  

I do hope yout cat is better.