Valued Contributor

My Mother in law has a Condo in Naples, FL so we have been there many times ususallly at Christmas but it's been a several years since we've been there and they didn't have any Python Crossing signs just Black Panther signs. I guess they have decimated that beautiful creature too? My MIL gets the local Naples paper here in Delaware, and a few years ago she read a story about a orange field worker, a small Man, that got pulled up a tree by a Python. Even though his arms were constricted, he managed to bite the snake and then wrap his shirttail around its head once it turned towards him. He then got his cell phone out of his pocket, called to the main house, they came and poked the snake down from the tree with the Man, put the snake in the back of the Truck drove and back to the house, and the snake was gone! I will never forget this story. I know I would have probably died of fright! 

Contributor

I do live in Florida and I find some of you tourists to be more preditors than some of our critters!   Florida natives did not cause the overpopulation of preditors.  We were raised to respect balance of nature!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

If they catch the snake to give it the birth control, why not just destroy it?  And if they do give it birth control, it's still around to eat other native creatures.  I do like the birth control idea in some situations like the explosion of wild horses in the west.

@w2orjetdoc  I really don't believe you know who has released those snakes.  If not FL natives, do you think tourists brought them?

I wonder if the hunts are helping the problem.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

There would be too many snakes to destroy. Give them food that contained 'birth control pill' and then that way the snake population would go down enough to where the numbers of snakes could be managed. 

Esteemed Contributor

One female they caught had 200 eggs inside!  Strange odds for reproducing to me!

Even if you gave the ones left birth control, they would continue eating the native animals.  

It's not their fault they are there but they are not native and are destroying the natural eco balance!

Trusted Contributor

Why are non-native, "exotic" animals even allowed to be brought into our country to be sold in "Pet shops" to begin with?